Is AOW a required prerequisite to do a Divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like you have an opportunity to have some fun and do some great diving. But being a DM can be a lot of work. Don't get me wrong, it's a lot of fun if you don't mind leading other divers and helping herd cats if you're helping teach new divers in an OW class. But you'll be the one schlepping tanks, changing out people's gear, basically doing all the heavy lifting for paying customers in exchange for those great dives you'll get to experience. It's up to you to decide if the cost (all the work you'll put in) is worth the return on investment. Your reason for wanting to become a DM doesn't sound like a bad one. Unless you want to become a DM to make money because it doesn't happen. Even most instructors have a regular job. My reasoning for becoming a DM (currently finishing up Assistant Instructor through SDI) was to be able to give back to the diving community and share my passion for the underwater world with others. I don't mind the work that's involved and actually look forward to working with students in OW classes and leading dives.

As far as what you'll learn in a DM program.....mostly it'll be about the business side of diving and being part of a dive shop. It's really gives you a more behind-the-scenes look into dive shop operations and the business side of things. You'll learn a little more about dive physiology and theory, but as far as skills, you'll already pretty well know the ones you need; it's just a matter of refining them to the point where you can demonstrate them near perfectly and be a model to other divers. You own't really learn a lot in the way of skills.

So it's really up to you to decide if it's worth the time and effort you'll put in. My DM program required AOW, Rescue, CPR/FA/AED/O2, Master Scuba Diver and I believe 50 dives (60 upon completion of the program), which you obviously already have. Just know that as a DM you'll work hard than anyone else on the boat.

IIRC there is one sneaky caveat here; a DM needs to have deep dive experience, and adventure diver does not qualify you to dive deep...

I recently finished up my DM internship. I wanted to do it for a few reasons. 1) I like being helpful. I was already helping lug tanks around, talking to students, helping set up gear. So why not be recognized for it? 2) It was a full internship. I dove a ton, got to work closely with really good instructors, and became a better diver. 4) Free diving as long as I did the work I was already doing. 4) Keyman is sweet. 5) My shop is really supportive of me and encourages students and divers to tip. It's not much, will never replace my job by factors of 10, but it pays for my gas to dive and subsidizes my gear, which makes my wife more comfortable.

Your reasons seem great. I think you'll have a blast and work really hard.

IIRC there is one sneaky caveat here; a DM needs to have deep dive experience, and adventure diver does not qualify you to dive deep...

There is no scuba police stopping someone from doing deep dives without AOW. I have seen people that have been certified for years with just OW that have experience with deep dives. this might be one of the reasons that one of the required tasks is to do a deep dive during your dive master training.

It is a good idea to to get your AOW just in case a boat operator requires it. I have been on a boat that required AOW + deep specialty card to do the dive.

Deep diving is part of the DM curriculum.

Yeah I have been thinking about that; it seems that standards wise you can indeed become a DM via OWD - AD - RES - DM, but DM itself does not qualify you to do deep dives* (even though the deep workshop is part of the curriculum). So if you would respect the standards, you can only assist in shallow dives as a DM. It would also imply there is / should be a difference between shallow and deep DMs, but obviously that is not the case.
There is no scuba police so I can imagine the OP has quite a bit actual experience, but as a DM you should adhere to the standards and set the example. Also I wonder how your professional insurance would look at things ISHTF.
My gut feeling says this is an unintended loophole, and a DM should have AOWD.

Anyway, from a more practical point of view, OP seems to have a pretty cool plan, and if there indeed is so much diving involved, chances are you can make AOWD part of the internship anyway. Bound to be an instructor around who likes the cert and it is only 2 days of fun diving anyway (maybe even less depending on how many adventure dives are done already).

Edit: *until you start comparing it with other agencies, ISO standards etc, then it becomes a different story yet again. tricky.

Yeah I have been thinking about that; it seems that standards wise you can indeed become a DM via OWD - AD - RES - DM, but DM itself does not qualify you to do deep dives* (even though the deep workshop is part of the curriculum). So if you would respect the standards, you can only assist in shallow dives as a DM. It would also imply there is / should be a difference between shallow and deep DMs, but obviously that is not the case.
There is no scuba police so I can imagine the OP has quite a bit actual experience, but as a DM you should adhere to the standards and set the example. Also I wonder how your professional insurance would look at things ISHTF.
My gut feeling says this is an unintended loophole, and a DM should have AOWD.

Anyway, from a more practical point of view, OP seems to have a pretty cool plan, and if there indeed is so much diving involved, chances are you can make AOWD part of the internship anyway. Bound to be an instructor around who likes the cert and it is only 2 days of fun diving anyway (maybe even less depending on how many adventure dives are done already).

Edit: *until you start comparing it with other agencies, ISO standards etc, then it becomes a different story yet again. tricky.

One can also become a PADI DM without a Nitrox Certification. But that's none of my business :coffee:

actually we are wrong, I just checked the 2020 manual:

Divemaster Course Prerequisites 1. PADI Advanced Open Water and PADI Rescue Diver certifcations (or qualifying certifcations) 2. 18 years old 3. Medical clearance attesting to dive ftness signed by a physician within the previous 12 months 4. 40 logged dives 5. Emergency First Response Primary and Secondary Care course completion (or qualifying training) within the last 24 months Exit Requirements 1. Emergency First Response Primary and Secondary Care course completion (or qualifying training) within the last 24 months 2. 60 logged dives; documented experience in underwater navigation, night diving and deep diving

Seems they fixed it over time.

DM itself does not qualify you to do deep dives* (even though the deep workshop is part of the curriculum). So if you would respect the standards, you can only assist in shallow dives as a DM.
What standards are you talking about?

There are no standards governing your diving. There are only recommendations regarding staying within the limits of your "training and experience." By "training and experience," PADI is referring to a combination of the two, and you are supposed to use good judgment as to whether the combination in your past is adequate. Some dive operations will require AOW or its equivalent for deeper dives, but that is a requirement of the dive operation, not the agency. The agency, in fact, has no legal authority to make such a requirement.

Back
Top Bottom