Question for Big Island residents or recent visitors.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

Yep, I photographed it at Puako—where we anchored the dive boat. There always seems to be frogfish in that area.

Joe

Hi,

One of the virtues—or vices—of digital photography is how easily you can manipulate an image. So, I couldn’t resist fiddling with yours—which really is a nice frogfish portrait.

Joe

94322E84-2BC9-470B-B9C2-8A9A605AC7D8.jpeg

One of the virtues—or vices—of digital photography is how easily you can manipulate an image. So, I couldn’t resist fiddling with yours—which really is a nice frogfish portrait.

Looks much better. Thanks. What did you use to doctor it up?

Hi,

I’m glad you like it. I used my ancient version of Photoshop. Unfortunately, I don’t think Adobe sells their software anymore—you have to buy a Cloud-based subscription.

Joe

I’m glad you like it. I used my ancient version of Photoshop. Unfortunately, I don’t think Adobe sells their software anymore—you have to buy a Cloud-based subscription.

Thanks for the reply. Way back (2008?) SeaLife cameras sent a photo-editing software program with the camera I purchased that was fantastic. Of course within a few years the software became ancient - couldn't download to newer computers and SeaLife didn't send any software with their newer cameras (I updated twice.) Can't remember what they told me that software was when I called to inquire. I've tried a few FREE programs since, but nothing gave me the clarity and vibrant colors of that old program which was very simple to use. Probably need to pay for a better program - currently use Apple's software and have used Luminar which worked with Apple's software.

OR I could just send you all of my pics to change!!! lol

“OR I could just send you all of my pics to change!!! lol”

What an interesting idea: I’m sure my wife would be delighted to hear that I have another “hobby”!

Adobe stopped supporting my version of Photoshop long, long ago, but it still seems to be functioning as well as ever. I’m hoping that it will continue to serve as long as I need it.

Joe

I believe Richard left to go back to the mainland.

Too bad - had read good things about him. Thanks for the update. At this point, although I said I probably wouldn't go back to Hawaii, I can't wait to feel comfortable to go back there....or anywhere!

Saw and read the info regarding your book (content looks to be interesting and a great cover); along with the time spent with creatures, do you address or have you encountered any dangers. Intended to sign up for the dive last fall but had a DM talk/scare me out of it by indicating some of the risks, such as with sharks.

Too bad - had read good things about him. Thanks for the update. At this point, although I said I probably wouldn't go back to Hawaii, I can't wait to feel comfortable to go back there....or anywhere!

Saw and read the info regarding your book (content looks to be interesting and a great cover); along with the time spent with creatures, do you address or have you encountered any dangers. Intended to sign up for the dive last fall but had a DM talk/scare me out of it by indicating some of the risks, such as with sharks.

When early divers first donned their gear, they were warned of the blood-thirsty sea monsters that lurked in the depths. That is an image that has haunted each new jaunt into the open sea. Each type of dive carries with it a unique set of risks. Unlike other diving risks like DCS, oxygen toxicity, and getting lost at sea, sharks have become a symbol and, while they are rationally less dangerous, they seem scarier. They are the first thing that the uninitiated think of when someone describes any kind of pelagic dive.

While bluewater sharks tend to be a bit nosier than their reef-swelling counterparts, they are both manageable (assuming your dive guide knows what they are doing) and incredibly rare to see. In 8 years of guiding blackwaters, I have a shark encounter rate of only 4%, which includes 3 tiny cookie cutters and a pygmy shark. The vast majority of guests that encounter a shark on a blackwater consider themselves lucky to be able to see one.

I'm sorry that you were talked out of it. Most people walk away having had the time of their life. I try to create an experience that is both exploratory any educational. Blackwater is designed to take you out of your comfort zone and show you a bunch of creatures that you've never seen before, but it wouldn't be the fad that it is today if it was actually THAT dangerous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom