Raja Ampat - Liveaboard or Land Based?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Misty89

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're looking to take a trip next April/May for my 50th birthday. We're not "dive all you can all day into the evening" divers. We like to enjoy some land-based activities, and a cocktail in the afternoon. So really two dives per day is our comfort zone, sometimes three if it's an all-day safari kind of thing.

So, I'm trying to decide between a Liveaboard or land-based. We've never been to Indonesia before, so I have no idea. The only Liveaboards we've done are catamaran sailings with some diving as part of the iten. Being on a boat doesn't bother us. We just don't dive all day.

To give you an idea of what we like...our annual fall trip is usually a vacation rental (Beachcomber Villas) in Bonaire. Sometimes we eat out at nice places and sometimes we just grab a sandwich at Between Two Buns. We like comfortable. We like privacy (no shared bathrooms). We like good food but don't demand caviar. We like laid back company...no one worried about perfect hair on a vacation :wink:

Ideas, suggestions, comments please :) Thanks in advance!

April/May might be a bit early if you are concerned about covid.
The only land based place I have been is Wakatobi Resort, not in RA but with some great reefs. There you can go out 2 or 3 times a day, your choice.
We had planned to go back this fall but cancelled. It's very good, casual, not inexpensive.

I would love to go to Wakatobi, but we already have a family reunion that was postponed from July 2020 to July 2021 due to COVID, and it's in Scotland. And we live in Dallas. And I got laid off due to COVID and am starting my own business. So the budget is tighter than usual :(

We did Misool in 2017. My partner is not a diver and he loved it there. We were supposed to be back there in December, along with a stay in another resort in Raja. Everything rescheduled to 2022. It would be helpful if you could list your budget. I suspect things may be filling up quite fast as everyone who had trips booked are scrambling to reschedule.

Bali. Not RA, but lots to do outside of diving. In RA there is very little to do outside of diving. If you really want to do RA have a look at Papua Paradise. Was there last year and while there is not much to do outside of diving it was a nice place to do it. Great diving, good food and good accommodation. On a liveaboard you will be surrounded by people who are almost universally diving all day whereas at a resort you are likely to meet those who are a little less fanatical. Personally I prefer the liveaboard.

Papua is the same ballpark as wakatobi etc though..it’s tough in raja on any sort of ‘budget’ I think...and most stuff is pretty remote if you are the kind of guys who want to walk around a local area and grab a bite..

May have to push for a grander 51st, LOL. Our idea of "land-based" activity is usually visiting any local village if allowed (e.g. like you can in Fiji), playing beach pong for the afternoon, etc. We're pretty easy, in terms of not needing organized activities. We've done fine snorkeling all afternoon from a cat in a bay.

RE a land-based resort - assuming it's easy to get to lots of good diving and not feel like we've missed out?

RE a liveaboard - best booking site? Liveaboard.com? Paid.com travel?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom