Greetings everybody. New Diver.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello! Welcome to Scubaboard. We're pleased to have you join us.

Glad to hear that you learned a valuable lesson and have come out of it wiser and unscathed.

Welcome

Newly certified as of 07/26/20. OWD and EaN. Have lurked around the forums for years. Just got back to NC from the Keys. Learned some lessons the hard way. Just because conditions look good doesnt mean they wont go sideways fast.

Would you like to tell us more about what happened?

Would you like to tell us more about what happened?
Me and my Cousin (who has more experience diving and works at a dive shop) figured we'd do a shore dive/spearfishing/lobstering off Scout Key. I havent been there in a decade, but knew the reef real well then. Park was closed so we lauched off the boat inlet on the other side. Figured long ass surface swim out to the reef then dive. Current ripped us under the bridge and we had to fight it, then surface swim a few hundred yards. The sandbars gotten much shallower and covered in grass... cant walk it youll go though it. Duck walked a good ways. Started surface swimming out to the main reef which should be due East of the island by about a quarter mile. 2hrs fighting a mild current surface swimming and no reef in site... Tide changed to incoming with an outgoing undertoe and were in 12' of water with 10' visability, and oh our dive flag was towing a chum block, At dusk... which got ditched real fast. WE Called it then. If we hadnt called it then, or stopped a swimming for any reason wed have been picked up by the Coast guard. 3hrs of kicking it on the surface or literally crawling on the bottom, sucking gas. Used a total of 700 psi, lost my tilos fins and my kracken 900l light. Reefs 10 years ago arent the same... Conditions change real quick. Shore dive and Keys dont belong in the same sentence.

Welcome, fellow Tarheel. If you're up for a dive this weekend, come out to Fantasy Lake Scuba Park. I will be up there with some friends while they do some qualification dives.

Welcome, fellow Tarheel. If you're up for a dive this weekend, come out to Fantasy Lake Scuba Park. I will be up there with some friends while they do some qualification dives.
Nice place. I was there in March vis was about 10 feet at best. Drove down and camped for the weekend. It was a great 4 days

Back
Top Bottom