Nitrox for 20 dives in 5 days?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So are you saying that the degree of nitrogen loading (and offloading) in the tissues has no perceptible feeling by the diver?
Has it been so, why use dive tables and computers? Divers could simply rely on their sense of nitrogen.

So tell me about ( "The Bends" ) Decompression Sickness. Isn't that a perceptible state of feeling associated with Nitrogen offloading?
Has it been so, why use dive tables and computers? Divers could simply rely on their sense of nitrogen.

Actually you are describing exactly what happened prior to the first dive tables and one of the more important factors in determining the validity of dive tables.

I would assume that any pain associated with DCS results from damage to body tissues caused by excess off-gassing(bubbles), not from any sensation caused by the inert gases diffusing back into circulation.

So tell me about ( "The Bends" ) Decompression Sickness. Isn't that a perceptible state of feeling associated with Nitrogen offloading?

Actually you are describing exactly what happened prior to the first dive tables and one of the more important factors in determining the validity of dive tables.
I am very confused as to what is being argued here. Yes, when people got bent while working in deep pressurized mines and bridge-building caissons, they were indeed in pain. That was certainly a clue. When Chris Rouse reached the surface after his dive, he died there within about a minute. That was certainly a clue. So, yes, if you get bent that badly on a dive, you will know it pretty quickly.

A lot of people would prefer a warning before that happens, and there is no perceptible bodily reaction prior to the symptoms once you are bent.

So are you saying that the degree of nitrogen loading (and offloading) in the tissues has no perceptible feeling by the diver?
There is some speculation that tiredness following a dive(s) is a sign of sub-clinical DCS, and that nitrox minimizes that feeling by reducing the inert gas load. I don't know that it has ever been established conclusively, though.

I am very confused as to what is being argued here.

Hi Boulderjohn,

I am also confused.

I don't know that it has ever been established conclusively, though.

How can it be established conclusively?

We are pleasantly arguing over something in the margins. Something that is subjective. A person's emotional feelings regarding how that person feels after performing a safe dive that does not leave the diver in pain, is again, subjective.

Me feeling more relaxed about a dive because I know I dived an air profile while using EANx is subjective. Diving an air profile while using EANx and having my air diving friends ride NDL and going shallow to avoid deco, is comforting knowing that I am not even close to NDL. Especially while doing repetitive dives in one day.

Subjective opinions are not objective opinions. One friend of mine feels better riding NDL and saving the money that he would otherwise spend on EANx. He feels better on air because he is a tightwad. It is his money! Why should I tell him he is wrong.

There are more factors in choosing EANx beyond a rule-in or rule-out DCS diagnosis.

Why do people get a little snarky over someone who "feels" that Nitrox is better for them? Why should someone else care? It's their money.

cheers,
m²V2

There is some speculation that tiredness following a dive(s) is a sign of sub-clinical DCS, and that nitrox minimizes that feeling by reducing the inert gas load. I don't know that it has ever been established conclusively, though.

And one of the problems with it is the divers who don't feel tired after a dive and are presumably immune to subclinical DCS, or Boyle's Law, or both.

Why do people get a little snarky over someone who "feels" that Nitrox is better for them? Why should someone else care? It's their money.
And who gets snarky? Not me. I stated clearly in #77: Live them alone and let the old man Darvin do his job.

Live them alone and let the old man Darvin do his job.

Hi tarponchik,

Maybe I misunderstood your intent because you were trying to be humorous—yes, no? Were the grammatical and spelling issues part of the humor and not snarky? Everyone is following some form of decorum on this thread. I feel the snarkyness is underlying.

Yeah , I am not following your humor, if that's what it was.

cheers,
m²V2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom