Is DAN membership worthless?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The intent is that either the diver or potentially DAN could help. We also occasionally have divers on first aid calls who also know to ask. Typically the EMTs are also instructed to try and get the profile before they leave the boat.

Whether or not DAN is any help from that perspective we don't know, we just figure it's better to have the possibility of getting as much info as possible to the hospital.

Whether or not DAN is any help from that perspective we don't know, we just figure it's better to have the possibility of getting as much info as possible to the hospital.
Yeah, I agree it should go! I was just wondering how often it actually gets used because of the knowledge/experience required to access the data.

A rescue squad I volunteered with and still occasionally assist with has dive emergency procedures pretty well covered, granted they have a dive team for SAR... At least for our squad, the Divers hold training with the EMTs to cover dive related emergencies and what to do outside of the immediate medical needs. The EMTs are instructed to take the divers gear with the patient to the hospital or at least any computer and to document the divers profiles and relevant info in the PADI accident worksheet for the hospital.

Sounds like a great plan that others should learn from. It always surprises me when I look at a DAN Annual Diving Report and see how much information is lacking. As an example, in 2016 for fatalities in the U.S./Canada or of U.S./Canada citizens, depth information was not known in 70 of 94 cases. The type of gas was unknown in 76 cases. Considering that the majority of these fatalities are of divers not diving solo, it seems there should be more info available.

Here is the emergency tag on my BCD:

50263920966_167bce94c7_h.jpg
IMG_20200824_1238262 by Emergency tag on BCD

On my motorcycle gear, I don't want personal info (email/phone addresses for emergency contacts) permanently visible, but I want them to be easily accessible.

I zip-tied the laminated business card to the outside of the left chest pocket (pocket 13 of 47, for those of you who count Aerostich Roadcrafter pockets instead of counting sheep). My hope is that the tag would be visible/accessible to first responders if needed, but not get torn off if I'm asphalt surfing.

50264104682_00c0dd8e93_h.jpg
IMG_20200824_1236441 by Tag on 'Stich

I'm sure they guy has received enough answers by now, but, DAN Guardian Plan, $125.00 per year, most people spend more than that on rum (or rhum) in a weekend. It is cheap insurance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom