Interested in selling used tanks to local Pawn Shop(s), any tips/experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafanatic

Contributor
Reaction score
I've got 2 sets of doubles (Faber LP 76's and 85's) I'm wanting to get rid of, mainly to make space in my garage, as I haven't used them in probably 10-15 yrs, and barely used them at all. My 'tech' LDS has NO interest in buying or selling on consignment ANY used gear. I'm not interested in doing a garage sale, or E-Bay or shipping them anywhere (due to their weight and I've have to tear them down to pack them for shipping amd I'm not sinking my time into that) and I'm not sinking one more penny into them. I'm not wanting complete strangers coming to my house to 'kick the tires' either.
Everything is in great shape, they are out of hydro/visual though, and I'm not sinking $ into them to get those updated.
First I thought I'd just dump them off at Goodwill or Good Samaritians, then thought I'd get at least 'something' for them at a pawn shop.
So, has anyone got any experiences or expectations as to the likelihood of success and what I might expect they would offer me ?

Thanks!

Can you put them up for sale here, local, and then meet F2F away from your home? Where are you located?

You might try to find a local dive club, some one may be interested in buying them. Most pawn shops won't give you more than they can sell for scrap.

I didn't have high expectations but 'scrap value' ? Yikes! That would make these tanks the worst 'investment' known to man! While it's been a long time, I think the LP 85's twins set me back $ 1500 (new) in like 2005 dollars. I bought the LP 76's used from out-of -state/EBa for maybe $ 700-$800 ish as best I can remember.

The dive shops don't mention this aspect of buying their shiney new gear, it's such a good idea they say!

I'm in Dallas/TX area, nowhere near the sea or any 'tech' oriented diving (caves/ship wrecks) so I doubtful a local dive club would get me very far, but I may explore that option depending on getting a bid or two from the local pawn shops.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Use SB classifieds. There are more divers on SB in Tx than you’d suspect.

Too bad, where are you located? I would call around to other dive shops to see if they would be interested even if you have to drive a bit. I would only buy sight unseen if they had been recently hydroed which is cheaper if you avoid a LDS. There are many hydro shops that do fire extinguishers and industrial bottles that could easily do those LP cylinders. If you are close by I would gladly make a reasonable donation to your local charity of your choice to take them off your hands. :eyebrow:

I didn't have high expectations but 'scrap value' ? Yikes! That would make these tanks the worst 'investment' known to man! While it's been a long time, I think the LP 85's twins set me back $ 1500 (new) in like 2005 dollars. I bought the LP 76's used from out-of -state/EBa for maybe $ 700-$800 ish as best I can remember.

The dive shops don't mention this aspect of buying their shiney new gear, it's such a good idea they say!

I'm in Dallas/TX area, nowhere near the sea or any 'tech' oriented diving (caves/ship wrecks) so I doubtful a local dive club would get me very far, but I may explore that option depending on getting a bid or two from the local pawn shops.

Thanks for the suggestions!
You would be surprised at how many divers in your area. I run a dive club in Oklahoma (Oklahoma Aquanauts) and we have over 1600 members. Many are tech and cave divers.

Too bad, where are you located? I would call around to other dive shops to see if they would be interested even if you have to drive a bit. I would only buy sight unseen if they had been recently hydroed which is cheaper if you avoid a LDS. There are many hydro shops that do fire extinguishers and industrial bottles that could easily do those LP cylinders. If you are close by I would gladly make a reasonable donation to your local charity of your choice to take them off your hands. :eyebrow:

Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex, unfortunately not nearby.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom