New guy from New Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CycleCat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Forty plus years since my first dive and I'm finally on my way to getting certified! My wife and I finished our SSI classroom and pool requirements in Colorado Springs, now we are just waiting for New Mexico's Blue Hole dive site to reopen so we can complete our open water certs.

My first dive was way back in 1978 doing a tourist dive in Cancun. I was hooked! Since then I have done a few shallow shore dives with borrowed equipment in Texas lakes (Belton and Whitney) and in a few pools. Dive certification was offered in college as a PE class but was always full. After college I was broke and paying student loans so I never got certified. More recently, COVID interrupted two attempts at vacation this year so my wife suggested we go for certification as an alternative. I taught her how to snorkel for our honeymoon over 20 years ago. She was reluctant to try scuba until we saw an octopus in Cabo San Lucas a few years ago. When we got back on shore she said she was ready to learn to dive!

A few years ago we bought a house in San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico... half way down the Sea of Cortez on the mainland side. We visit every year and plan to retire there in a few years so we will have lots of opportunity to use our certification!

I'm enjoying the board so far and look forward to participating more going forward!

I've not been to San Carlos, but I've been Rocky Point quite a bit, since it's only a 4 hour drive, give or take. I've heard San Carlos is an awesome place!

I lived most of my life in New Mexico and did my open water cert dives in Blue Hole in Santa Rosa. Such an amazing place to dive as a newbie...

I've not been to San Carlos, but I've been Rocky Point quite a bit, since it's only a 4 hour drive, give or take...

San Carlos is only 6 hours! You should definitely check it out! Less touristy than Puerto Penasco.

Forty plus years since my first dive and I'm finally on my way to getting certified! My wife and I finished our SSI classroom and pool requirements in Colorado Springs, now we are just waiting for New Mexico's Blue Hole dive site to reopen so we can complete our open water certs.

My first dive was way back in about 1978 doing a tourist dive in Cancun. I was hooked! Since then I have done a few shallow shore dives with borrowed equipment in Texas lakes (Belton and Whitney) and in a few pools. Dive certification was offered in college as a PE class but was always full. After college I was broke and paying student loans so I never got certified. More recently, COVID interrupted two attempts at vacation this year so my wife suggested we go for certification as an alternative. I taught her how to snorkel for our honeymoon over 20 years ago. She was reluctant to try scuba until we saw an octopus in Cabo San Lucas a few years ago. When we got back on shore she said she was interested in learning to dive!

A few years ago we bought a house in San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico... half way down the Sea of Cortez on the mainland side. We visit every year and plan to retire there in a few years so we will have lots of opportunity to use our certification!

I'm enjoying the board so far and look forward to participating more going forward!

Excellent news! And welcome to Scubaboard.

Welcome to ScubaBoard @CycleCat. Thanks so much for joining our forum. Enjoy yourself during surface intervals.

Welcome, I grew up in Las Cruces.

Welcome to the Board. San Carlos has been on my list of places to go, but don't know if that will ever happen. I know the shell collecting is pretty good there. Maybe we'll meet someday (if I'm still diving by then....).

Welcome to the Board. San Carlos has been on my list of places to go, but don't know if that will ever happen. I know the shell collecting is pretty good there. Maybe we'll meet someday (if I'm still diving by then....).

We have found lots of good shells and starfish on the beach. Topography is similar to Cabo with mountains dropping right into the sea. The water is not as clear as the Caribbean but it's close enough to drive for us! Lots of Canadians there!

Some pics from San Carlos...

i-6dgCg5j-XL.jpg

i-HdL5NRP-XL.jpg

i-CCxzJhP-XL.jpg

Back
Top Bottom