What’s the difference between a MK5 and a MK10?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isn’t the design of the newer versions also suppose to handle the higher tank pressures of the HP tanks?

The bushing system in the MK20/25 (and MK15 for that matter) should be better at preventing piston stem o-ring extrusion than the simple single o-ring in the MK5/10. However, using an aviation grade Viton 90 o-ring in my MK10s seems to work very well even when my HP100 is pumped up to 3500psi -sometime a little more ;-)

I use the MK 5 all the time with 3500 or higher tank pressure. Once I got a super duper cave fill in my E7 120 at 4100 psi, that’s pretty good for around here.
Am I not supposed to use the MK 5 at those pressures?
So long as it’s the newer version with the heavy yoke it should be fine.

In my understanding the more constant flow characteristics of the MK10 over MK5 were due entirely to the new conical seats, which indeed can be used also on the MK5. I am using them successfully since when they were released, and they work great on the MK5.
The greater advantage of the single-body design of MK10, hosting entirely the piston, has to do with SPEC. Packing properly of silicon the SPEC chamber of a MK5 is a bit a mess, as the silicon must be poured inside the chamber while assembling the two parts together.
In the MK10 you pack the SPEC chamber while inserting the piston, and then you can close the reg with the chamber already sealed. The other improvement in SPEC of the MK10 is the availability (at the time) of a special rubber sleeve covering the holes of the SPEC chamber. With that sleeve properly installed and saturated of silicon grease, the MK10 becomes actually a fully-sealed piston reg.
Those rubber sleeves (or boots) were difficult to find already at the time, and they are impossible to find now. However I managed to build a mould for making them, either in silicon rubber or PU rubber.
See here for more info: SPEC Boots for MK10 and MK15 primary regs

The MK15 must have been a very short lived regulator, I even forgot there was that reg. What was the year span for the MK15?

The MK15 must have been a very short lived regulator, I even forgot there was that reg. What was the year span for the MK15?
Somewhere around 1990 but I’m sure someone here can pin that down better than I.

Both regulators are first rate. In 50 years of using both almost exclusively I've noticed few differences except for those due to the second stages I've paired them with. Graphite 250s and D350s are my usual choices, depending. They are also lovely to look at .

This is an intriguing comment. Why should it matter where the piston head land sits? Why did placing the piston head inside the body instead of inside the cap make piston action more precise? I can see how it might have helped alignment during piston travel. But decreasing the piston head diameter made Mk10 lockup less crisp, IMO.

I believe that the reason for the greater precision in the piston travel was indeed a matter of alignment. This is because the MK10 design allowed for the ambient chamber and the HP piston land to be machined out of a single piece of brass, ensuring that the surfaces that the piston head o-ring and piston stem o-ring operated on were perfectly parallel. Apparently, at the time, SP was limited in diameter by this machining process; I don't know why. In the MK5, because the ambient chamber and HP chamber were threaded together, there apparently was enough inaccuracy in the threading that there were slight alignment issues between those parts. However, in later designs, they returned to the MK5 approach, presumably with either more precise threading or a lack of concern for any alignment issues. By that time (MK15/20/25) they were using bushings to further lower the tolerance between piston shaft and the o-ring journal, reducing extrusion.

But, IMO, the MK10 is not as good a design. The smaller, more aerodynamic piston certainly flowed more air on a bench than the MK5. But in real life, I have found that there is more rise in IP at higher tank pressures in the MK10 than there is in the MK5. In essence, the MK10 is less balanced than the MK5. I believe that this is due to the smaller piston head. This smaller area results in less total force on the knife edge, and as such, any friction on the piston shaft due to o-ring extrusion (or just increased pressure at high tank pressures) have a corresponding higher impact on the movement of the piston.

What I find is that my MK10s typically do not lock up as reliably as my MK5s for as long a time. I was rebuilding MK10s maybe twice as often as MK5s; still a few years of solid use before I noticed any creep. That's the biggest difference, longevity between rebuilds. Both regs have delivered plenty of air for my use and I have never noticed any difference in in-water performance. I do like the fact that it's easier to find MK10s (and pistons for them) in pristine condition, and the fact that the modern DIN retainers work in them.

The MK15 may be my current favorite, and I'm sad to see them not supported any more. I have a handful of seats for mine and will continue to use them until I don't have any more. The MK15 got a bad rap as being hard to rebuild (it's not) and there was a real problem with the initial seat material and external IP adjustment mechanism. I think this is what sunk the MK15 more than anything else. SP loved the aerodynamics of the rounded piston head they went to in the MK20, even though until the composite piston came around, lock up on those was not as solid.

Back
Top Bottom