Changes at Tres Pelicanos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wish them well on their new endeavor, and I also wish Steve well keeping 3P going with his fantastic customer service he and his crew provide!

1. Pretty good prices. I wonder what size tanks they are using and if Nitrox is included?

1. Pretty good prices. I wonder what size tanks they are using and if Nitrox is included?
Nitrox supplement (per tank) 10

I've really enjoyed diving with Jorge. He's always been very nice to me and he's an interesting guy. I wish him the very best in his new endeavor. I dive with 3P because Steve runs a "diver's shop," his commitment to his idea of the "pelican family" (I've witnessed it on several occasions), and a great group of experienced, returning divers. I don't see any of those things changing.

I've really enjoyed diving with Jorge. He's always been very nice to me and he's an interesting guy. I wish him the very best in his new endeavor. I dive with 3P because Steve runs a "diver's shop," his commitment to his idea of the "pelican family" (I've witnessed it on several occasions), and a great group of experienced, returning divers. I don't see any of those things changing.
Agreed. While I loved diving with Edgar and Jorge it’s 3P’s that I dive.

Rough water for both 3P ownership and those who appreciated the trifecta of a well-run shop with fast boats and killer staff. Hoping 3P can repair the latter damage. For those who reveled in diving with Jorge (I am one) decisions to be made for the next hop to Coz. Wish I did not have to make it, but alas, the viral fallout and consequences continue.

I'm always concerned when I see multiple employees leave at the same time. It reminds me of how TP got started. If what you say is true, then how will they get customers? I guess ultimately we'll see if anyone can find out what the departed DMs and captain do end up doing. The captain not getting enough work is also odd, as if there is an alternative source of full time work.
Hello Scuba Board. My name is Steve and I am the owner of Tres Pelicanos. I would like to start this post by thanking everyone who not only has supported our dive operation, but especially all who support Cozumel. The Island is hurting for funds because as much as we divers diss the cruisers--the fact is they are the economic driver here. Residents are not working and need all the support they can get.
To clarify the changes of people at my shop--I carried seven salaried staff members through the shut down. We restarted our business on June 27th with one long time client. Yes it is not economically sound to do a two tank trip paying gasoline , a captain and a Dive Master, but we wanted to accommodate our client and also get some work for the guys. The entire industry was slow and I had three boat captains and three Dive Masters. I scheduled the guys on a rotating schedule so every one would get an equal amount of work. One of my Captains found another job where he could get more hours. Can you ever blame a man for wanting to work more to support his family? No.
Then one of my DM's who had his own operation in its infancy--was spending more time on it than with my shop. We discussed this and he opted to go and pursue his own business. Then out of the blue Jorge came and told me he was leaving. Yes this was a shock, but as I listened to his reasons, I saw his enthusiasm on beginning his own business. Both DM's were in their mid years and had worked for somebody all their careers. Now they wanted to go off on their own. I respected their desire to go do their thing and wished them well.
That explains the loss of my staff. Nothing else but these men desiring to get more work and follow a dream.
Let me be one of the first to congratulate these new businesses.
Jorge and Christine now have a dive operation called PSD--Punta Sur Divers. Good luck Jorge and Chris.
Edgar has his boat called My Grandfather which is also the name of his business. Good luck Edgar.
Campeche my boat captain is now working for Julio Kin--again one of my Dive Masters who with a foreign investor has started his shop--called Julio Kin Diving. Good luck Julio and Campeche.
I hope this explanation helps and please, continue to support Cozumel and its many very good dive operations.
Gracias Steve

It’s funny how many of us dove with this group at BA and then at 3P. I didn’t follow them initially when they moved and only gave 3P a shot based upon diving with on of Steve’s Fairbanks neighbors down in Roatan and that recommendation.

I’ve been a fan of the entire 3P operation since I switched over and will be back with them in February.

I do wish the new business nothing but the best, but until 3P gives me a reason to look elsewhere (and I have no reason to think they will), I’ll keep walking to that lovely orange building each dive morning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom