Recommend BC for minimalist diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi

I have discovered now that when I do dive, because of my weight gain over the past 12 months, I now need 10kg of weight around the weight belt and I am trying to find a BC that is minimalist and light weight and not difficult to pack for trips for a large sized man. The current BC I have is too big and I think given the weight gain, I need to cut down on the size of BC I am using for ease of use during dives.

Any suggestions?

The minimalist option is a backplate with harness and wing (BP/W). It's less bulky than a jacket BC and the materials are denser so you can cut the amount of lead you have to carry.

When I switched from a BC to a BP/W with a stainless steel plate, I was able to drop from 11 to 4 pounds of lead (around 5 to 2 kilos) with a 3mm and an Al80. Overall weight of the systems was similar. You can save around 3 pounds (1.5k) when travelling by using an Aluminum backplate, but you'll need to add it in back in lead when you are diving.

BTW, what kind of exposure suit are you wearing? It's all warm water around Brunei, I can't imagine needing 10 kilos (22 pounds) with a 3mm.

The current BC I have is too big and I think given the weight gain, I need to cut down on the size of BC I am using for ease of use during dives.

Most people need a bigger bc when they gain significant weight, not a smaller one. Why do you need a smaller BC? I am guessing you mean smaller as in less real estate on your sides, in order to make room for more weights?
In that case I agree a bp/w would be ideal, but also think about the weight distribution. Maybe consider a harness instead of just a belt.
And that might actually work with your current bc as well, so you might be able to save some $$$. Final thought; you mentioned you gained the weight in the last 12 months. So that is pretty much the winter holidays + a global pandemic making it harder for people to move and exercise. If there is a reasonable chance you can loose the weight again, I would explore several weight distribution options first before considering a new bc.

The Dive Rite Hydro Lite seems to meet your specs.

If "Another BC" ever creeps its way to the top of my "next major dive purchase" list, I'd give it a serious look.

The truly minimal BCD is made just of a wing plus harness. No metal back plate...
Such minimal BCDs do exist, and they are also much cheaper.
The backplate can always be added, of course, if needed. For example when using a bigger tank.
Here an example, made in Italy and costing just 155 eur, VAT included:
https://en.bags-sport.com/product-page/fly-tech-bcd

If you need that much weight and your size is changing, a SS BP and wing seem to be the obvious choice. You can add a couple of trim pockets to the top tank strap to get some additional weight off the belt and away from the center of your body, making it easier to get flat in the water.

The truly minimal BCD is made just of a wing plus harness. No metal back plate...
The backplate can always be added, of course, if needed. For example when using a bigger tank.
I wouldn't call that less minimal than a standard BP/W. In addition to all the bungees and padding and plastic clips, the wing is oversized for warm water diving at 18l (40 pounds).

ae1ba9_b8f494bb8e6342039ead5ea768a1fb56~mv2.webp

Truly minimal would be a harness only, but then you give up the BC part of a BCD :)

Please get your blood pressure checked; sudden weight gain that your heart is not used to, combined with putting a strain on your body diving, sets you up for an in-water heart attack. Call DAN Diver Insurance at the very least.
If you invest a lot of money in gear and trip first, no amount of chest squeeze will dissuade you from getting in the water.

That BC is the same size as mine, and I use that for twin 12L 232b steels.
Way oversized for single tank diving.

Consider a BP/W. By ditching all of the padding (positively buoyant), you’ll be able to remove at least some of the weight from your belt.

As mentioned by the others above...check out a stainless steel backplate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom