New charges for Sotis (Add helium)and Emilie Voissem (Nexus Underwater)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All I can think is how many people in the industry told me that I was wrong for calling out Sotus as I had a few times before this for others stuff he did, how many former students of his hated me for it.

Reading how Sotis was willing to let employees that were loyal to the point of stupid take the fall, planning to set up innocent others to take the fall, weave a web of lies to save himself sadly doesn't surprise me.

In context of everything we now know, it's a miracle the list of dead isn't longer than the 3 I know of off the top of my head.

You want an example of evil? Here you are.
Screenshot 2020-06-05 at 09.41.07.png

Regardless of what happens in the trial, that comment tells me everything I need to know about his business ethics.

Screenshot 2020-06-05 at 09.43.07.png

That tells me everything I need to know about his personal ethics.

there was a canadian instructor that went down to get trained as an instructor on the revo a couple of years ago , he went down once a month (about 3 times iirc )and came back with a higher rating each time .......i knew somthing was wrong then ............and by the way ....the instructor died a short time later.......i was told of this by another instructor that worked in the same store ,even sent me a photo with that instructor posing with peter
One missing data point, how he died. Getting T-boned on a motorcycle makes it a meaningless data point.
But I suspect the data point will have some meaning in all this.

Anything new ever happen? Did the trial happen? Plea bargain? Did they just drop everything due to coronavirus?

The last filing in the case was 10JUL2020, DOC 42

ORDERED AND ADJUDGED that the case is continued for trial to the two-week period beginning OCTOBER 13, 2020. This case is specially
set. Calendar Call will be held on OCTOBER 7, 2020 at 1:00 p.m <<>>A motion cutoff is July 31 <<>>

Doc 35, read in conjunction with the gov's DOC 3 - Indictment, gives insight to the gov's case
DOC 35, GOVERNMENT’S TRIAL BRIEF AND MOTION IN LIMINE​

Doc 39, DEFENDANT PETER SOTIS’ MOTION IN LIMINE, perhaps wishful thinking on the part of the defendant?

If you are interested the docs attached will give an overview of the case. Defendant has waived speedy trial.

IMO - D will not go to trial.

D, unfortunately, has been involved in criminal actions and is all too familiar with the process.

Behind the curtain - what is the plea deal for both defendants?

I would bet that a plea will be the outcome, no trial. Typically, the gov will offer early - your best offer it only gets worse from this time for you - is a typical conversation.

More interesting is what happens to Emilie Voissem, co-defendant?

Attachments

• 42 USA v SOTIS VOISSEM Time Enlargement Case 1:19-cr-20693-UU.pdf
    98.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 39 USA v SOTIS VOISSEM Time Enlargement Case 1:19-cr-20693-UU.pdf
    121.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 37 USA v SOTIS VOISSEM Time Enlargement Case 1:19-cr-20693-UU.pdf
    211.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 35 USA v SOTIS VOISSEM Motion TB Limine Case 1:19-cr-20693-UU.pdf
    169.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 03 USA v SOTIS VOISSEM INDICTMENT Case 1:19-cr-20693-UU.pdf
    302.4 KB · Views: 118
voissem was a cop she knows how it works she will turn on him so fast in court his head will spin , she'll get 24 months probation or somthing like that, hell go down hard

Who is Voissem in all of this?

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF FLORIDA
CASE NO. 19-20693-CR-UNGARO UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,
v.
PETER SOTIS and EMILIE VOISSEM, Defendants.

The indictment - DOC3 - lays out the alleged crime and the alleged perpetrators.

Hot day in the panhandle? Reading the three docs below will pass the time until the evening breezes cool you off.

DOC35 - Government's Trial Brief and Motion in Limine, provides a summary of it's take on the law, facts, evidence, and exclusions. Section one of this doc lays out the charges against Sotis and Voissem.
DOC 3 - Indictment
Doc 39, DEFENDANT PETER SOTIS’ MOTION IN LIMINE, perhaps a bit thin​

Teaser -

"SOTIS was the majority owner (80%) and VOISSEM the manager of Add Helium LLC, a Fort Lauderdale company that sold, exported, and trained on the use of diving equipment. In the spring of 2016, Osama Bensadik, a Virginia resident, contacted Add Helium to purchase over $100,000 of rebreathers and other diving equipment that SOTIS and VOISSEM were to ship to a third-party entity in Libya."​

Not quite Perry Mason stuff, but none-the-less interesting.

This story is reminiscent of a ‘Law & Order’ episode that aired many years ago. The episode centered around a (fictional) NYC based small business that got caught attempting to sell and export items/technology that were banned from export.

It sounds like that’s about the amount of thought that went into the plan in this case. Ex. ‘Office Space’ computer and banking fraud idea.

Back
Top Bottom