D420! How about that?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My free weekly River drift is shut down by the RCMP as it is in Canadian Waters and they have determined it to be illegal with the border closed... The other side of the Island (all US waters) is too stupid with boaters...

COVID cancelled a week in Curacao, and also Canceled a week in Tobermory of vacation dive trips.

One charter operator I use is Canadian (Lake Ontario and Huron), so can't get there...

Other charter operator (Lake Erie) is only doing bookings with shops, and it has not aligned to dive with them (plus time & money).

I have 1 dive so far this year.....

I'm bummed for you.

Look at these epic conditions (2-inch "chop"):

P_20200815_165708.jpg

and I am stuck being dry..... :banghead:

Took the new 420 for a pony ride in the pool, absolutely beautiful in water performance, think SP has got the tuneing figured out, it’s running as hot or hotter than my early one after all of the tweaking and in water James79 adjusting. These offer really effortless breathing, very happy with this new one, not even planing to take the sticker off that covers the spring adjuster.
952D6A92-7BB7-452D-B287-9465F36BE854.jpeg

My free weekly River drift is shut down by the RCMP as it is in Canadian Waters and they have determined it to be illegal with the border closed... The other side of the Island (all US waters) is too stupid with boaters...

COVID cancelled a week in Curacao, and also Canceled a week in Tobermory of vacation dive trips.

One charter operator I use is Canadian (Lake Ontario and Huron), so can't get there...

Other charter operator (Lake Erie) is only doing bookings with shops, and it has not aligned to dive with them (plus time & money).

I have 1 dive so far this year.....

Does the RCMP have a SCUBA certified horse? If not, it seems to be a bit of a hollow threat to keep you from drift diving the place, just make sure that you enter and exit the water from the US side. Think of it like a US Cuban policy in reverse, if a cuban sets foot on dry land, he is in the US and can stay, just don't set foot on dry land in Kanukville. 1 dive all year? Y'r killin' me, it's August for crying out loud.

Come join us at White Star quarry in Ohio on 8/29 for some double hose goodness.

Does the RCMP have a SCUBA certified horse? If not, it seems to be a bit of a hollow threat to keep you from drift diving the place, just make sure that you enter and exit the water from the US side. Think of it like a US Cuban policy in reverse, if a cuban sets foot on dry land, he is in the US and can stay, just don't set foot on dry land in Kanukville. 1 dive all year? Y'r killin' me, it's August for crying out loud.

Come join us at White Star quarry in Ohio on 8/29 for some double hose goodness.

RCMP & CBP (Canadian) have fast boats and routinely (many times a day) are driving "the line" to get people....

I am in Canadian waters when I am in 12-15' of water....

Law currently states "under way" or you are in violation of the order issued by the Prime Minister...

Now, I go to Ohio, and then, when I come home, I get to sit at home for two weeks (without pay) in quarantine...

It's a freaking train wreck!

Well, I'm in sidemount heaven!
I picked up my pair of Mk19/D420's at the LDS today! Hats off to Jon Edens at Marin Diving Center, San Rafael, CA!
20200819_183746.jpg

So here are the test results. My serial numbers are one digit apart, so there's a 50/50 chance it was the same technician who built them.

Set #1:
20200819_184243.jpg

2700 psi (sorry, shop tanks not quite full)
IP 141 psi. Crisp lockup, no creep.
D420 cracking effort: 1.4" WC

20200819_184435.jpg

300 psi tank
IP 147 psi. Crisp lockup, no creep.
D420 cracking effort: 1.3" WC

Set #2:
20200819_184911.jpg

2700 psi input
IP 138.5 psi. Crisp lockup, no creep.
D420 cracking effort: 0.7" WC

20200819_185109.jpg

300 psi input
IP 143 psi. Crisp lockup, no creep.
D420 cracking effort: Slight Freeflow!!

When I took the purge off, I expected to find the valve lever tight up against the diaphragm.
20200819_192418.jpg

But in fact, they'd done that part right. There was a little tiny bit of taptap between the diaphragm disk and the lever under pressure. So I'm assuming it was just a knucklehead failure to put enough spring pressure on. I'll pry the disc off later and fix it. No big deal.

Conclusions:
1. Mk19 IP spread is 4.5-6.0 psi, full tank to empty. Not bad!
2. Scubapro techs still haven't quite gotten their act together in tuning the D420.

Can't wait to dive the Mk19's. They look to be the perfect thing for an easily environmentally sealed turret reg, since I refuse to dive a Mk25. The IP spread is perfectly acceptable.
As for the D420, If you work on your own gear, we have a great reg here. If you expect it'll be good to go right out of the box, well, I think we're still seeing growing pains.

I'd be interested in seeing how the SP D420 compares to its great-grandfather, the SP Pilot. I'll probably have my Pilot at White Star quarry on 8/29, and if the past is any indication, there should be one or two other functioning Pilots there as well. Anybody going who could bring a D420?

P.S. Why did SP name it's new king second stage after Puff/MJ/Weed?

I'd be interested in seeing how the SP D420 compares to its great-grandfather, the SP Pilot. I'll probably have my Pilot at White Star quarry on 8/29, and if the past is any indication, there should be one or two other functioning Pilots there as well. Anybody going who could bring a D420?

P.S. Why did SP name it's new king second stage after Puff/MJ/Weed?
I have a few A.I.R. 1’s and it compares very favorably.
As for the weed reference, I think they are just running out of numbers, the “20” being this is like that but different, like the s600 becoming the s620, or maybe they were high...

Back
Top Bottom