Katana 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes for sure. That’s my next project. How did you re-route that bungee at the bottom of the wing? Mine is in the crotch strap and it lifts too much. I’m thinking about attaching that bungee to the lower plate instead.​

I ran a piece of 8mm bungee through the bottom of the wing and down to a slide on the crotch strap to add some tension. I might tighten up my waist bungee too, that sounds like a good idea.

Could somebody point me to comparisons of the Katana 2 withheld Xdeep stealth / tec .. however opinionated, but based on practical experience, not just based on internet reading) . Looking for one and only one rigg for warm water (Al80s) and cold water Steel and Al80s. Trying to understand the differences that actually make a difference between those two rigs.

So I dove both and here are some of my observation.

1. Weight pocket. The XDeep has more option for the weight pockets (height and size). The K2 has 4 sewn in pockets in the center.
2. Harness. both are adjustable completly. The K2 comes with a H option which is nice for steel tanks.
3. Wing. Both wings are similar in size and shape. The only major difference is that the XDeep has the central rear dump and the K2 has a lower left and a shoulder one.

I personnaly could not reach the XDeep central dump with my steel tank, Drysuit, and drygloves on. The mobility was just not there and that is very risky. The K2 is so much easier to dump and use that way.

So XDeep has a better weight management, but a worst wing if you are not very flexible.
K2 has an ok (never had any issue with it) weight system, but an excellent wing.

For me, the ability to dump trumps everything else, K2 wins all day.

I haven't dived the K2 but have dived the Xdeep in several configurations and tank setups. I love the center dump more than the hip dump on my bp/w for it's ability to dump the last burp of air without changing my position in the water. My wife couldn't manage it at all so I ran cave line to the valve through a sleeve and she operates it from her shoulder now. The K2 would have been a better option for her probably.

Finally got back to diving my Katana 2 yesterday; I’ve been using my backmounted doubles extensively for the last 6 months and neglecting SM. I still need to tweak my cylinders but I’m getting closer.
89AA6001-A02C-4775-A35B-6687300B31DA.jpeg
E845BBCC-9315-45AE-99A7-DD5BD0FBCB34.png

Finally got back to diving my Katana 2 yesterday; I’ve been using my backmounted doubles extensively for the last 6 months and neglecting SM. I still need to tweak my cylinders but I’m getting closer.View attachment 607096 View attachment 607095
Are your cylinders clipped to the accessory attachment 1” D-rings on the back of the wing cover or is that optical illusion? I found I needed to ditch the massive Hollis square D and use some of the Sump UK (or dive rite) drop D for steel cylinders. Working spools or SMB clipped to the accessory keeper rings.

That’s an illusion, you’re seeing the bolt snap for my light.

My tanks are clipped to the drop points on my DIY mini backplate. There’s pics on page 2 of this thread.

ETA: I’m about to revisit this plate though because I can’t get the tanks down far enough without really long leashes.

Update.
So I decided to use the bungee at the bottom of the wing and run it through the lower plate. I used the bungee that the crotch strap was using and just made it longer. I think this will reduce the back lifting. I left it loose but I can make it tighter (pending in water photos).
F27FE6CC-3962-4D77-987B-C201B038C91E.jpeg

E90DC7C6-6CC9-4FB5-9B19-D3271A5ED373.jpeg

Attachments

• AF6F2F51-3CD5-4128-B81F-0061C1AD8A64.jpeg
    AF6F2F51-3CD5-4128-B81F-0061C1AD8A64.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 154
Did a sidemount course with my K2... It's my first SM experience, so I have nothing to compare it with, but I really, really like it. Horizontal trim is so easy, diving SM is só flexible. I'm in love.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom