Deep 6 Eddy Fin - Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a quick drive by before I quickly bail before I get SB induced rapture of the deep and a nose bleed or worse a shallow water black out from over thinking every thing and have to have my wife flail me with a long hose to bring me out of the stuporous state! Hopefully of some minor use.

Well, I was able to finally get my hands on Eddy Fins size L. Nice! The quality and materials are first rate. For your comparison, I am a luxury resort diver in warm water, a dry suit, are you kidding me! For your sizing data point, I wear a size 11 Nike/NB athletic shoe and I typically wear a semi-hard sole 5mm boot with a zipper side with all of these fins. Here are my currently in use fin collection:

IMG-1131.jpg

From left to right, Aeris size Regular (3 lbs 4 oz), Mares Avanti Quattro size Regular (4 lbs 13 oz), OMS Slipstream size XL (5 lbs even), Eddy Fin size L (4 lbs 15 oz), SP Jet size XL (6 lbs 6 oz). I need to get these all back in the pool if the lifeguard girl would not freak out on me and swim some laps with them. The Eddy feels fine and is a little smaller than the OMS/Jet and is only slightly larger than the Aeris fins. The Avanti speaks for itself! If speed is the need the Avanti delivers.

N

. I need to get these all back in the pool if the lifeguard girl would not freak out on me and swim some laps with them. N

@Nemrod Thanks for sharing! Yes do get back to the pool! I sure would love to hear your report on the Eddy fin, especially in contrast to your other sets of fins and how you might best use them.

I’d be curious as well as how they compare to the Aeris (which are my current travel fins).

Glad that this thread was resurrected. I’d given up hope of getting a large pair of these in black at the end of last year, so am thankful to know that they are back in stock.

I purchased a pair of large OMS Slipstreams that work just fine when I wear my 3mm booties, and placed an order with Deep 6 last Thursday for an Extra Large pair of Eddy Fins. Even though we here on the east coast of the US have been under tropical storm/hurricane watches and warnings as a result of Hurricane Isaias, my new pair arrived early this afternoon.

I love the fact that the Eddy Fins offer adjustable anchor points for the spring straps. At the largest setting the fins fit just fine over my dry suit boots, and at the middle of the three possible settings, they are ideal with my sneaker style boots. The grab-tab on the straps make it a breeze to remove the fins with one hand.

I note that the foot pocket is more rigid than any of my other current fins, and probably more rigid than any fins that I’ve ever tried. This itself is not a problem, as whenever I have to walk while wearing fins I move backwards or sideways if at all possible. Walking forwards in the Eddy’s may prove a bit painful.

Thanks to Isaias, the water off shore here will probably be extremely ugly for the next several days, so I’ll just have to stay patient and wait a bit before I get to dive with the new fins.

BTW, just to help potential buyers estimate proper sizing, I wear a US size 9 1/2 street shoe, and my full-foot Mares avanti quattro power fins are sized 42-43.

Very interesting. I have a good scar (blister that went too far) from my solid attempt to use my eddy fins for a week last June. I did all kinds of modifications to the strap in an attempt to get a better footpocket fit. Other than the foot pocket, I love the eddy. It can make good power and it's slightly positive... I've been using the scubapro booties.

I had been planning to list them on the SB "for sale" section. I'll have to pick up some other booties and try the eddies again before I do that. I'd like to be diving the eddies with a wetsuit and my diverite xt's with a drysuit... if this solves the problem.

Thanks for posting this thread!
Since someone else resurrected the thread...

I owe a big thank-you to the OP @CAPTAIN SINBAD! I bought some new booties (aqualung I think) after reading your post and VIOLA! My deep6 fins now fit great. Thank you so much for the suggestion. @Deep Six should put a note about scubapro booties on their website somewhere... might help reduce unhappy customers due to fit problems.

That scar from the deep6 fins+scubapro booties seems to be permanent.

Any idea from where can I get them shipped to Israel? I read the reviews and thought it seems like an amazing pair of fins, the price is awesome but then shipping is about $90. Which is like 80% of the original price...

Since someone else resurrected the thread...

I owe a big thank-you to the OP @CAPTAIN SINBAD! I bought some new booties (aqualung I think) after reading your post and VIOLA! My deep6 fins now fit great. Thank you so much for the suggestion. @Deep Six should put a note about scubapro booties on their website somewhere... might help reduce unhappy customers due to fit problems.

That scar from the deep6 fins+scubapro booties seems to be permanent.

I imagine that bootie fit thing is just down to individual sizing. I use my Deep6 fins with ScubaPro EverFlex 5mm boots and they are very comfy. My favorite combo of fin and footwear.

Just a quick note. I have not gotten the Eddie Fins in the pool yet. I just keep forgetting. I do want to clarify that the fins in my post, all fit similar with my Mares 5mm boots which I have been using for quite some years. I bought several pairs since I liked them. I was trying to equate the fins marked size with my actual size 11 foot (Nike/NB sizing) as a data point for fit and sizing. I will try to swim the Eddie Fins and the Aeris fins Friday after I do my mile swim.

So I did bring my new Eddy fins and my Aeris Travel fins to the pool. I have always, I think, referred to my Aeris Travel fins as 60% fins. That being 60% of the weight and 60% of the thrust and 60% of the size of other (SP Jet fin type) similar fins. So my consideration on the Eddy fins is that if I take the Scubapro Jet, which for me is an XL, and the Eddy fin in a L (similar fit as in the foot pocket size betwixt the two) then I would say the Eddy fins is my new 80% fin. Thus being 80% of the weight, maybe 80% of the thrust (okay, maybe 85%) and 80% of the size (blade area and overall). Which, for my purposes is exactly what I wanted and is a good niche for these fins to inhabit.

Okay, so you will say I should have used an Eddy XL, and I will say sorry but no! Because I own the various fins in the photo because they all fit essentially the same, that being my foot with the specified boot type, those things being a constant. The XL would flop all over in the Eddy, so no, the valid comparison is the Eddy L vs the SPJ XL and the Aeris Regular.

The Eddy is a great fin, congrats on a fine product.

So I did bring my new Eddy fins and my Aeris Travel fins to the pool. I have always, I think, referred to my Aeris Travel fins as 60% fins. That being 60% of the weight and 60% of the thrust and 60% of the size of other (SP Jet fin type) similar fins. So my consideration on the Eddy fins is that if I take the Scubapro Jet, which for me is an XL, and the Eddy fin in a L (similar fit as in the foot pocket size betwixt the two) then I would say the Eddy fins is my new 80% fin. Thus being 80% of the weight, maybe 80% of the thrust (okay, maybe 85%) and 80% of the size (blade area and overall). Which, for my purposes is exactly what I wanted and is a good niche for these fins to inhabit.

Okay, so you will say I should have used an Eddy XL, and I will say sorry but no! Because I own the various fins in the photo because they all fit essentially the same, that being my foot with the specified boot type, those things being a constant. The XL would flop all over in the Eddy, so no, the valid comparison is the Eddy L vs the SPJ XL and the Aeris Regular.

The Eddy is a great fin, congrats on a fine product.
@Nemrod, thanks for the info. How would you compare your other fins (Mares & OMS) to the Scubapro Jet, using your metric scale.

Back
Top Bottom