Life and Death: Surviving an Attack by Two Oceanic White Tip Sharks at 300 Feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Veitch

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Diving legend and founder of TDI/SDI Bret Gilliam discusses the time when he and his team were attacked by oceanic white tip sharks at 300 feet! Listen to a first hand account of this incredible story of both death and a miraculous survival as a pair of oceanic white tip sharks encounter three technical divers deep under the sea. Bret is a natural story teller and this narrative is only a small portion of a full 90 minute podcast with Bret from June 2020.

"I walked in on my own memorial service." Can you imagine being there and seeing him walk through the door? Amazing.

Also interesting is the Navy LF operations attracting the sharks.

I had read this report before, and it was not any easier reading the second time around. I can't even imagine the horror all three divers encountered in this shark attack, and so admire Bret Gilliam's courage trying to save his friend. I know many on this board subscribe to the philosophy of "don't become the second victim", but coming from a military background I, and thankfully, most of my fellow comrades in arms, have a different philosophy about putting your ass on the line to save another person, especially a teammate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom