What are current cameras for novices like me.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my concern with the Olympus is I understand they are now closed.

A got a recommendation to get a kraken and an old burner phone.
Olympus agrees to sell imaging business by the end of the year
After struggling since a scandal in 2011 they're pretty much done. The buyer might choose to continue selling cameras under the Olympus brand. They also might split the company's assets up to make a profit. I don't think they've stated their intentions yet.

I've checked out the kraken a few times but it's a little pricey for just a housing. I think (for me) it would be a fun toy but I think a phone would be a pita to use underwater. No cell phone that I've owned has done very well in low light, and that's what you get underwater.

There is no chance that JIP will sell under the Olympus name, but the cameras will continue to be made and sold (Olympus announced the OM-D EM-10 Mark 4 today in fact and the new 100-400 lens is on pre-order. The Tough brand will likely stay, the Zuiko brand will likely stay so I would not be afraid to buy a TG-6 today.
Bill

Just got a used pair of cannon powershot s95 with case.

I'll look into strobes soon.

I'm brand new to SB so forgive me if this is the wrong place/way to post this question.

I'm contemplating getting certified after taking a Discover Scuba session.. so I have a newbie question.
Not a big photography person so don't want to spend a ton of money on underwater camera equipment, but I found something that is relatively inexpensive (at least in this realm) and seems it might fit the bill. So....

Does anyone know anything about the Xpoov housing?

I had a sea life camera with stobes that I was happy with (whatever the 2009 model was). It is totally dead so I was thinking of getting a new camera.

I'm not a pro and don't intend to become one, I'm a hey that looks cool take a pic type. One of my friends has a kraken housing and I'm fine with the picture quality she gets, I just will not take my phone underwater no matter what it's in.

So what are the current options for us that just like to take a quick shot.

I'm like you...not a pro, don't want to be one, don't want to be extorted for camera housings in Mexico. Just want to take some cool pics. This year I went from a GoPro (really novice, I know) to an Olympus TG-6 with the P-059 housing. I love this camera! It's a great performer and it takes super cool macro without adding any lenses. It's really compact and lightweight and is waterproof to 50 feet without the housing. The internal flash has good performance also. There's ports for attachable lights. If you're using it with no added lights, you can just have it dangling from your wrist with the included strap. Happy shopping!

I'm brand new to SB so forgive me if this is the wrong place/way to post this question.

I'm contemplating getting certified after taking a Discover Scuba session.. so I have a newbie question.
Not a big photography person so don't want to spend a ton of money on underwater camera equipment, but I found something that is relatively inexpensive (at least in this realm) and seems it might fit the bill. So....

Does anyone know anything about the Xpoov housing?

I'm going to say don't buy ANYTHING YET. Take your OW course make sure you like it. Get your regular dive gear (after trying different things out to see what you like best) while trying out pratice your bouyancy and in water control till you have it down. Then worry about distractions, like a camera.

Appreciate the advice about actually knowing how to to dive first before complicating it with a camera. Advice taken and will be applied.

I'll look at the TG-6 (for after I learn :) ). With the case you're talking almost $700 - $379 for the camera, $296 for the case.

The Xpoovv is $150 and is good to 150 feet. I liked the concept of using my phone with it, which implicity upgrades you photos if you upgrade your phone.
That's if it's legit. Can't find any independent reviews on it
Thanks for the replies

Appreciate the advice about actually knowing how to to dive first before complicating it with a camera. Advice taken and will be applied.

I'll look at the TG-6 (for after I learn :) ). With the case you're talking almost $700 - $379 for the camera, $296 for the case.

The Xpoovv is $150 and is good to 150 feet. I liked the concept of using my phone with it, which implicity upgrades you photos if you upgrade your phone.
That's if it's legit. Can't find any independent reviews on it
Thanks for the replies
No body EVER expects their camera housing to flood, but accidents happen, especially at the beginning. My advice is never take a camera underwater that you can not afford to lose and consider it a "Teachable Moment". For many (most???) people, losing their phone would have significant impact on their lives. (By "lose", I am not only talking about dropping it into the abyss and never seeing it again but also flooding and the device losing all functionality.)

In all honesty, if you find that you enjoy underwater photography, you will almost certainly out grow the TG6, but given its inherent water resistance, it is a good way to get started especially with the added security of a housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom