Peregrine or mission one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDan85

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Ok I know atmos is new and shearwater has been around. Also 2 different styles. But what’s pros and cons considering they are the same price and the mission one has more features. Size difference is a moot point. Just looking for some assistance

compass, smaller size, gps, android push notifications from your phone for the atmos

peregrine has bigger screen, better contrast, 3 gas deco support, deeper depth rating that can be trusted, 2 year warranty.

i haven't seen a documented dive on the atmos mission past 40m, so the 100m rating might be iffy on it.

The Mission One is still available for $330 from Piranha, the Peregrine is $450.

The comparison doesn't seem too difficult, but there is not much experience with the Atmos. There is a lot of experience with Shearwater, but not the Peregrine. Both have color screens, the Peregrine is larger. Both have Buhlmann presets and custom GFs. If you need a digital compass, it's the Atmos. If you have come to love SurfGF and the tissue loading graph, it's the Peregrine. If you need smart watch functions, it is the Atmos. If you want multiple gases and deco planning, it's the Peregrine.

The decision is personal. I look forward to more information on both of these computers. It's wonderful that there are an increasing number of good choices

Peregrine. Shearwater stands behind their product like no other. Nuff said.

Subsurface support will likely be sooner for the Peregrine.

I would love to hear how service requests for the Mission One have worked out through DRIS, Divers Supply, Piranha. I have had personal experience with Shearwater.

You know, I thought the M1 GPS would be gimmicky, but I have to admit it's pretty sweet. I now have several of our spear fishing coordinates saved, the watch did it on its own..... My buddies never remember to replace garmin batteries,, so now we have a backup. Subsurface support isn't really an issue, the Android app exports uddf files. I just email myself the files. When I got mine it was $299.

Subsurface support will likely be sooner for the Peregrine.
I wish I had better news, but right now that Peregrine refuses to start the BLE communication with Subsurface.
According to the docs it should work exactly the same way as the Teric, but something about it confuses the Qt BLE implementation and the communication times out. So please don't hold your breath just yet. (which is always a bad idea when diving, anyway)

compass, smaller size, gps, android push notifications from your phone for the atmos

peregrine has bigger screen, better contrast, 3 gas deco support, deeper depth rating that can be trusted, 2 year warranty.

i haven't seen a documented dive on the atmos mission past 40m, so the 100m rating might be iffy on it.

A freediver has reached 102.8m and then 111m in the 2019 Philippine Depth National Championship.
For Scuba, the deepest log I saw from the ATMOS divelog app is 80m.

I personally won't exceed 40m.

Attachments

• Image from iOS (6).jpg
    Image from iOS (6).jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 141
  • Image from iOS (8).jpg
    Image from iOS (8).jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 125
  • Image from iOS (7).jpg
    Image from iOS (7).jpg
    92 KB · Views: 125
Shearwater is the safer bet of course, and surfGF would be nice. Atmos is something like $150 cheaper though when on sale which is significant.

I personally might try to buy a used Peregrine as a compromise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom