Non scuba deaths but request for information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InTheDrink

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My stepson’s father and a friend drowned on Monday.

There won’t be any answers as to how. They were in a Dingy. The dinghy was found with particulars before alert sent out. Minus the two friends.

This was a swimming accident. There was no wind or waves. But the current off Brighton can be pretty strong.

My ex is asking me if I know what could have happened. I presume they went for a swim got separated and tried to fight the current.

This is why it’s diving related.

If fighting a current you’re generally fight a losing war and turning on your back and floating is probably your best, if scary, option.

This applies to divers on the surface too.

I’d like to hear other opinions about how best to avoid drowning when on the surface and caught in a current.

It might bring a little closure.
TIA

So sorry for this tragedy within your family.
As long as i can recall, the advice is that if you can’t swim, for any reason, to float on your back, (warmest part of the water is surface), and hope someone spots you. Red tee shirt to wave around would help, but most people don’t plan the wardrobe around Getting in trouble.

Sorry to hear. I concur with going with the current. Fighting it will just tire you out. And I think you don't even need to float on your back. Just tread water as the current takes you wherever. At least in an upright position, you can see all the options around you. I'd also recommend some splashing if you see a potentail rescuer. Boaters, especially if they're fishermen, are attuned to notice splashing because it indicates potential fishing or marine life activity.

My condolences on your family's loss (I've got step kids myself and the loss of their father would be hard on everyone for a variety of reasons)

Could have been current, could have been they struggled to get back in the dingy (I've seen a lot of people struggle to lift/kick themselves out of water to get back onto even low tow tubes, boats etc.

I would hesitate to have every person in a boat some distance from shore jump into the water with no flotation. Either everyone takes a PFD or someone stays on board. Surviving the exposure and exhaustion of prolonged immersion requires more than staying calm... you are going to need some sort of help whether passive (PFD) or active (rescue/assistance)

My condolences on your family's loss (I've got step kids myself and the loss of their father would be hard on everyone for a variety of reasons)

Could have been current, could have been they struggled to get back in the dingy (I've seen a lot of people struggle to lift/kick themselves out of water to get back onto even low tow tubes, boats etc.

I’ve only seen photos from the paper. But doesn’t look like any ingress into the dinghy. I don’t know for sure. But my guess is they never got back to it. But it’s just a guess.

I just hope that other swimmers and divers know that swimming against the current is an attractive but poor idea.

If these guys laid on their back they’d be sun burnt dehydrated but alive.

So hopefully some education here. Wasteful lost of life.

Firstly, sorry for the loss. I shudder whenever I hear both in the water, no one on the boat....thats an absolutely avoidable tragedy in the making. Trying to swim against the current is a seriously bad and probably instinct decision that they paid the ultimate price for. Diving ive gone for a float a couple of times and once decided to ride my tank, the other time I alternated between floating on my back and tredding water. As a sailor I've had a MOB situation and while it's extremely hard to spot someone in the water even on a glassy sea depending on the light, add in breakers, swells, white caps and you have minutes to spot the person before it becomes a search operation. Ocean current models give search craft the best idea of where a person is most likely to be given weather, currents and likely time elapsed since they entered the water. Getting in contact with those departments that have this info and resources to mobilise and direct a search operation effort as early in the event is the best chance someone drifting at sea...obviously that wasn't possible by the victims so until their dinghy was found was precious minutes ticking away. No boat should ever be left with no one o n it.

I’d like to hear other opinions about how best to avoid drowning when on the surface and caught in a current.
I don't believe in using "travel BCs" or "Caribbean BCs." I pack my big, 40+ pound lift BC for any trip. Then I'd inflate it, orally if needed, get out my PLB, mirror, SMB, whistle, etc. and try to survive until rescued.

I presume they went for a swim got separated and tried to fight the current.
I know that's a guess, but it'd be a poor choice leaving the boat without a pilot, always. I'm funny these days, but I don't board a boat unless I'm wearing a snorkel vest, and it stays on when I'm not diving.

I don't believe in using "travel BCs" or "Caribbean BCs." I pack my big, 40+ pound lift BC for any trip. Then I'd inflate it, orally if needed, get out my PLB, mirror, SMB, whistle, etc. and try to survive until rescued.

I know that's a guess, but it'd be a poor choice leaving the boat without a pilot, always. I'm funny these days, but I don't board a boat unless I'm wearing a snorkel vest, and it stays on when I'm not diving.
Thanks

Firstly, sorry for the loss. I shudder whenever I hear both in the water, no one on the boat....thats an absolutely avoidable tragedy in the making. Trying to swim against the current is a seriously bad and probably instinct decision that they paid the ultimate price for. Diving ive gone for a float a couple of times and once decided to ride my tank, the other time I alternated between floating on my back and tredding water. As a sailor I've had a MOB situation and while it's extremely hard to spot someone in the water even on a glassy sea depending on the light, add in breakers, swells, white caps and you have minutes to spot the person before it becomes a search operation. Ocean current models give search craft the best idea of where a person is most likely to be given weather, currents and likely time elapsed since they entered the water. Getting in contact with those departments that have this info and resources to mobilise and direct a search operation effort as early in the event is the best chance someone drifting at sea...obviously that wasn't possible by the victims so until their dinghy was found was precious minutes ticking away. No boat should ever be left with no one o n it.
Agree. Thx.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom