When to do a safety stop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OnTheMark

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So, I've seen blanket statements that you should always do a safety stop. However, this can't really be the case. If I'm diving in 10-12' of water, surely I don't descend to 15', wait 3 mins and then ascend.

I feel sure that at 60' I would do a safety stop, but what about less than 33'? And even in-between; would you do a safety stop at 40'?

I want to be safe but also not ridiculous. Thanks for your help

Anything above 30 feet for the whole dive is basically one long safety stop.

If you spend 40 mins at 27ft and 2 mins at 33 ft you are likley going to be ok as well..but as a standard you should be conducting safety stops over 30ft. I’m sure someone will weigh in with more specific science....

So, I've seen blanket statements that you should always do a safety stop. However, this can't really be the case. If I'm diving in 10-12' of water, surely I don't descend to 15', wait 3 mins and then ascend.

I feel sure that at 60' I would do a safety stop, but what about less than 33'? And even in-between; would you do a safety stop at 40'?

I want to be safe but also not ridiculous. Thanks for your help
Many divers do not do safety stops for non decompression dives less than 60 ft. But that statement comes with caveats. Are you young and in good physical shape? Do you push your dives to the no decompression limit? Because we don't know these answers for every diver, that is why the industry changed their recommendations to a blanket "always do a safety stop." There was a time when safety stops weren't a thing.

FWIW, I personally would not do a safety stop for a 40 ft. dive.

When I first learned, PADI encouraged safety stops always, and "required" them for any dive over 100 ft or getting within 3 pressure groups of NDL (on tables).
Time and conditions permitting, I try to always do one, for positive habit transfer.
Respectfully,
James

My computer won't trigger a safety stop unless the depth exceeds 35'. I think that's a reasonable line, and I generally won't do one then, but that will depend on who I'm diving with. My daughter's computers trigger a safety stop at 30', so if I'm diving with them, we'll follow their computer as it's more conservative.

There have been a few occasions where I've skipped the stop even though the dive met the parameters. Sharks following me (and my catch) up; strong current, low viz; etc.

at our shop we ask our students to do a safety stop on any dive deeper than 30 ft.

that said.....technically speaking.....a safety stop is a "recommendation", it is not a "requirement". if you are diving the tables for example, you "theoretically" can dive your planned profile and ascend (at no more than 30ft/min) directly to the surface.

but if you were diving a computer that is not very conservative, and your dive time is to the NDL limit, would you skip the safety stop ? i wouldn't.

many advanced divers do things their own way because they have a lot of experience and understand how dives affect them physically. or at least they think they do. for a new diver, my advise is to keep it simple. get into the habit of doing a safety stop. maybe use that few minutes to check your weighting, practice different finning techniques, how is your trim, or practice shooting an SMB.

one last suggestion.....when you do a stop, do not just race to the surface after the time is up. practice ascending as slow as possible. not only is it good buoyancy control practice but it is the greatest relative pressure change, so take your time.

Quite a few dive computers only trigger a safety stop if the diver has dipped below 10m at some point during the dive.

Of course, there are other good reasons to complete a safety stop, including watching for boat traffic, DSMB deployment and even practising holding a stop.

I tend to encourage it unless it's clearly pointless.

at our shop we ask our students to do a safety stop on any dive deeper than 30 ft.

that said.....technically speaking.....a safety stop is a "recommendation", it is not a "requirement". if you are diving the tables for example, you "theoretically" can dive your planned profile and ascend (at no more than 30ft/min) directly to the surface.

but if you were diving a computer that is not very conservative, and your dive time is to the NDL limit, would you skip the safety stop ? i wouldn't.

many advanced divers do things their own way because they have a lot of experience and understand how dives affect them physically. or at least they think they do. for a new diver, my advise is to keep it simple. get into the habit of doing a safety stop. maybe use that few minutes to check your weighting, practice different finning techniques, how is your trim, or practice shooting an SMB.

one last suggestion.....when you do a stop, do not just race to the surface after the time is up. practice ascending as slow as possible. not only is it good buoyancy control practice but it is the greatest relative pressure change, so take your time.
Oops sorry, I'm obviously a slower typer than you.

I personally always do a safety stop. It just so happens that some dives are one LONG safety stop such as my last 3 hour dive at Blue Heron Bridge.

Don't over think it. If you're diving deeper than safety stop depth, do a 3 min safety stop to end the dive. Unless you haven't watched your gas supply close enough (which should never happen), why would you not???

Back
Top Bottom