Shark Attack Mitigation Systems (SAMS) Wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want to avoid attacks from wildlife you should walk around dressed up like a Vacuum Cleaner to ward off attacks from dogs. I looked it up and found a stat that showed there have been 137 shark attacks in Hawaii since 1837. Not deaths, just attacks. That is less than 1 a year over 180 year period. Dogs attack thousands of people every year.

Incidents List

In 2019 there were 13 shark attacks, 10 of which the activity was swimming with no surfboard/paddle board to be accidentally confused with. That's a lot more than your 1 per year estimate.

Sharks in Hawaii - The Good, Bad, and Ugly - Living in Hawaii - Moving to Oahu, Maui, Kauai, Big Island

I think the above write-up is well written and informed. He makes some good points about "why sharks attack people"

It probably did not work out to be a real thing. The same article you mention also has a quote from the director of the Florida Program for Shark Research who thought that striped pattern actually would give sharks an advantage to see prey better. It doesn’t sound like the company went through a rigorous research when they came out with the product...

True. I reached out to the researcher who was supposedly doing their testing, perhaps he can inform me if the reason the wetsuit was scrapped was based on trails that didn't work or if there was any better evidence.

Last I heard they were working on different flavors for the SAMS. Mackerel, tuna, seal, etc.

Incidents List

In 2019 there were 13 shark attacks, 10 of which the activity was swimming with no surfboard/paddle board to be accidentally confused with. That's a lot more than your 1 per year estimate.

Sharks in Hawaii - The Good, Bad, and Ugly - Living in Hawaii - Moving to Oahu, Maui, Kauai, Big Island

I think the above write-up is well written and informed. He makes some good points about "why sharks attack people"
By no means it is a scientific article. As it was mentioned prior, unprovoked shark attacks on divers, while not unheard of, are exceedingly rare.

Real men wear brown furry wet suits and dive off Cape Cod and Smyrna Beach FL.

I grew a black furry suit that's starting to turn grey now! Not sure if it's the grey seal look or the silverback look!? The wet suit covers it up however. If ya want good pictures of GWs ya gota go where they are! Me I don't any. :)

I grew a black furry suit that's starting to turn grey now! Not sure if it's the grey seal look or the silverback look!? The wet suit covers it up however. If ya want good pictures of GWs ya gota go where they are! Me I don't any. :)

There is a good forum handle in there, you could change your name from AD to GreySquatch or Solo-Silverback!

As stated above though, if you dive with a camera you won't see sharks!

Incidents List

1 per year was for fatal attacks, not just attacks in general. Yes, the case fatality rate for shark attacks is probably much higher than for dog attacks. But if you are considering non-fatal attacks, if there were 13 shark attacks in 2019, how many thousands of dog attacks do you think that there were?

I know that I read something about an attack on a scuba diver a while ago, but those are much less common than attacks on surfers/swimmers. It sounds like this wetsuit wasn't designed with scuba divers in mind.

There is a good forum handle in there, you could change your name from AD to GreySquatch or Solo-Silverback!

As stated above though, if you dive with a camera you won't see sharks!

Funny I was just thinking about changing my handle because I don't night dive anymore, but I do still solo. SoloSilverBack humm, now if there's a picture of a gorilla in dive gear out there I'll have my avatar! :)

The next shark I see diving in RI will be my 1st, in RI. ;(

1 per year was for fatal attacks, not just attacks in general. Yes, the case fatality rate for shark attacks is probably much higher than for dog attacks. But if you are considering non-fatal attacks, if there were 13 shark attacks in 2019, how many thousands of dog attacks do you think that there were?

I know that I read something about an attack on a scuba diver a while ago, but those are much less common than attacks on surfers/swimmers. It sounds like this wetsuit wasn't designed with scuba divers in mind.

The thing is a lot of shore diving involves surface swimming. So if a shark bites a diver surfacing swimming to or from the dive which is it a diver or swimmer attack?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom