My Dundies, or can I get “fundies style” education?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found him via google. the reality is that I will probably go with the instructor that fits the best my expectation (not technically speaking because as said earlier every single instructor on earth can teach me something) but more regarding the type of training he or she will be willing to give. with or without GUE affiliation.

I will also discuss that with my buddy if she cares (or not) about a pass

I found him via google. the reality is that I will probably go with the instructor that fits the best my expectation (not technically speaking because as said earlier every single instructor on earth can teach me something) but more regarding the type of training he or she will be willing to give. with or without GUE affiliation.

I will also discuss that with my buddy if she cares (or not) about a pass

Sure, it's a good approach, probably the best one. Just for your information, I know another couple of instructors in France. Although I never made any dive with them, I had a good impression when speaking, and also heard good feedbacks:
- Bruno Barré, TDI and FFSSEM, he speaks French only and teaches in a very cold quarry called esox diving (around 6°C, any depth you need from 6 to 50m... although visibility drops a lot around 20/25m, it gets worse than a cave)
- Olivier Berteaux, IANTD and maybe TDI and FFSSEM, at the cave to be, in the Lot, where also marc Aznar works; if he does intro to tech... well, water would be much warmer and visibility much better.

Can't help more than this, sorry :)

that's already a lot. I'll keep those name on my list "to be contacted" when I come up with the training format I would like to pursue

You might want to check out RAID. Believe it or not, they don't sell hard drives. They're another dive training agency. My impression is that they're somewhat similar to GUE without all the restrictions on gear. I might be wrong, as I've never personally taken one of their classes. Probably worth a phone call to one of their instructors.

RAID has a growing focus on the adaptive diving side, so there is no agency issue with training a diver within their physical limitations via modified gear/procedures

There's also UTD but they've got some hoakey decompression non-algorithm that they use which makes them hard to recommend. I think they are similar to GUE in many respects. Both used to be called DIR before they abandoned the term. I have talked to several divers with a handicap who have trained with them.
The Ratio Deco issues only raise their head once you get to the tech side of UTD, the UTD Essentials of Rec is probably what the OP would be looking at, basically Fundies rec pass level.

I did look at both RAID and UTD but "funny enough" both agency have nothing in Germany of France which would be my two preferred locations.

I would recommend reaching out to Garry Dallas, he is UK based but does a lot of travel training. If anyone would be happy to sit and work out a plan to help you achieve your goals, he would be it.

Contact | Simply Sidemount

He would also be able to put you in touch with any RAID instructors in the region if there are any.

RAID has a growing focus on the adaptive diving side, so there is no agency issue with training a diver within their physical limitations via modified gear/procedures

The Ratio Deco issues only raise their head once you get to the tech side of UTD, the UTD Essentials of Rec is probably what the OP would be looking at, basically Fundies rec pass level.

I would recommend reaching out to Garry Dallas, he is UK based but does a lot of travel training. If anyone would be happy to sit and work out a plan to help you achieve your goals, he would be it.

Contact | Simply Sidemount

He would also be able to put you in touch with any RAID instructors in the region if there are any.

unfortunately raid isn't represented in Germany but maybe once we have a better handling of that virus I can explore a bit further out of the borders... I agree. I doubt that ratio deco would be a problem for me #NDLFORLIFE! I will definitely keep this agency in mind though, I here a lot of good stuff about it

First, best of luck! With the exception of the disability, I am in the same situation with training. In another thread, UTD was recommended to me as an agency that does rigorous dive training without forcing you into their equipment configuration. Unfortunately, as you found, they don't seem to have many instructors. I hope you find one that works for you.

First, best of luck! With the exception of the disability, I am in the same situation with training. In another thread, UTD was recommended to me as an agency that does rigorous dive training without forcing you into their equipment configuration. Unfortunately, as you found, they don't seem to have many instructors. I hope you find one that works for you.
How far is your set up from GUE standards? Any specific reason for not “sucking it up” for the training duration and then go back to your configuration? I’m just curious because I thought about it before realizing that it really didn’t make much sense for me.

unfortunately raid isn't represented in Germany but maybe once we have a better handling of that virus I can explore a bit further out of the borders... I agree. I doubt that ratio deco would be a problem for me #NDLFORLIFE! I will definitely keep this agency in mind though, I here a lot of good stuff about it
I had a quick look here:
Learn to scuba dive | Get your scuba certification | Scuba diving lessons | Online scuba training | Learn to dive rebreathers | Scuba diving schools | Scuba vacations | Underwater photography | Diver training program

and found these folks:
RAID Open Water 20 Diver | Zwenkauer See

My German is limited but it seems they have at least one RAID instructor on staff since they offer the Open Water 20 course. I know of at least one RAID instructor who is usually resident in Germany, right now she is in Cyprus but I will reach out and see if there are others. She also happens to be a UTD diver so she may be able to help there as well.

I will also drop a link to this with Achim from ISE.

Leipzig! Not the door next door but a beautiful place!
I think raid is also a good option.
In my girlfriend club there are very experienced instructors but I have to check if they’ll do “personal coaching” hourly rates.. or maybe the week with a format close to the fundies (focused on the basics and not on necessarily going deeper/longer)

How far is your set up from GUE standards? Any specific reason for not “sucking it up” for the training duration and then go back to your configuration? I’m just curious because I thought about it before realizing that it really didn’t make much sense for me.
Pretty far. I would need to borrow or buy a backplate/wing, knife, brass pressure gauge, pockets, necklace, and who knows if my mask is considered "low volume"? It's more the principle of the thing. I'm never doing tech dives; there is plenty for me to see in recreational depths for the rest of my dive "career". I just want to do those dives to the best of my ability. And if I'm going to get really locked in during a solid week of practice, I should be able to do it in my chosen equipment. Anyway, don't want to get into a debate, that's just my attitude.

Back
Top Bottom