Perdix and IOS App suggestion, currently using DiverLog +

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Subsurface is the technically most capable dive software out there.It's free and works on anything which is great. I HATE its user interface, I'm firmly convinced they are doing masochist R&D on what is the worst/least-effective/most pain inducing interface people will tolerate before they rebel. Maybe as a software developer my view is skewed but holy crap it needs some attention. Which is a shame, I know people put in a lot of time and energy and its technical acumen is superb, not to mention they are some of the first to support new things.

The shearwater stuff is a pretty bare bones but functional software. It also doesn't have a great interface but lets face it, Shearwater makes dive computers not dive software. It also suffers from the cardinal sin of only supporting their own dive computers. I'll never have dive software that only supports dive computers from one manufacturer.

Diverlog plus works on Mac and Windows (and iOS and Android) and its user interface is something designed for humans. It's pretty consumer grade but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

MacDive is the cream of the crop but only if you are fully in the MacOS and iOS ecosystem. It's not as technically capable as Subsurface buts its user interface is the difference of driving a ford model T and a 2021 Toyota Land Cruiser.

I used to use DiveLog on OSX and iOS. If you are within the OSX/iOS system, I highly suggest MacDive. It is excellent and they play nicely together. The OSX version makes it easier to analyze data and do mass changes to dives and the mobile is a nice companion for on-the-go. The bluetooth sync is seamless and I love the dive site auto-log and share feature, as well as it knowing when you splashed relative to the site location. If you take photos, it has a cool time stamp sync with your camera and dive so you can remember when/which part of the dive you saw a critter or something you took a pic of! It also has an equipment manager/reminder for servicing and keeping track of serial numbers, servicing, gear used, etc. Do check out the features on their website...:)

Subsurface is the technically most capable dive software out there.It's free and works on anything which is great. I HATE its user interface, I'm firmly convinced they are doing masochist R&D on what is the worst/least-effective/most pain inducing interface people will tolerate before they rebel. Maybe as a software developer my view is skewed but holy crap it needs some attention. Which is a shame, I know people put in a lot of time and energy and its technical acumen is superb, not to mention they are some of the first to support new things.
There is so much love in your words
I assure you, the UI isn't terrible on purpose. And we'd love help to make it better...

There is so much love in your words
I assure you, the UI isn't terrible on purpose. And we'd love help to make it better...

Sorry man, I know people like you contribute a ton of time and energy on it. Like I said you are normally the first to support new formats, run on everything under the sun, and by far away are the most technically capable of the dive software options, and of course are free. At one point I forked the repo and was trying to more or less do a python GUI wrapper on it but that was years ago, I don't really recall it but I think I got hung up trying to convert it into a .dll file but that was many many years ago. Work and other projects took precedence.

Has anyone ever exported their dive logs from Diverlog to a format that I can upload to another app?

do you remember how you did it? The eDiverlog website is down so I can’t look up how to do it or send in a service request

Chris linked to the MacDive website which should be very helpful. For importing from DiveLog and sql/other files, here's the info from their website:

Not only does MacDive support downloads from many different devices, you can also import data from a number of different logbook formats. Most can be loaded by simply dragging and dropping them on to MacDive. You can also use the Import window, described in Downloading Dives, by choosing File Formats as the Manufacturer.

The following list covers some of the supported filetypes and their common extensions.

• Diving Log (.sql)
  • Garmin (.FIT)
  • Oceanic (.TXT)
  • Liquivision Dive Logs (.lvd)
  • MacDive XML (.xml)
  • Seabear (.csv)
  • Shearwater Desktop (.xml)
  • Suunto Dive Manager 2.x (.SDE)
  • Suunto Dive Manager 4+ (.db.bak)
  • UDCF (.udcf)
  • UDDF (.uddf)

My memory is a bit hazy but I may have exported/saved the file in DiveLog as SQL after syncing it on the desktop version from my phone then dragged and dropped onto the MacDive app in OSX or I may have imported it using their tool then manually selecting the file in my computer. Sorry, I can't remember the specific steps but this should get you started. I did it successfully and it was seamless so the transition was very easy. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom