Who is still diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetSEAL

Contributor
Reaction score
I was living in Boston and often diving every weekend. At the beginning the pandemic, I sold my house and moved into the country, so I haven't been able to dive for a long time. However I'm moving to Hawaii this winter looking forward and looking forward to some socially distanced reef and shore diving.

I am curious to hear other people's stories

My local diving is in a river that is shared by two countries. The border is actually very close to the shore on our side. A month ago the RCMP boarded our boat and said "no more" as they have determined us to be in their country illegally with the border closed during this pandemic...

Sad part is, days before this I believe I stumbled upon a virgin wreck dating to Prohibition. It has between 500 and 1000 beer bottles on it. If anyone had found it earlier, it would likely be picked clean. Who knows what else may be there?

Sucks!

Fortunately we got stranded on Grand Cayman when they closed the borders. Everything was shut down here including diving. But they reopened the beach/ocean in June, so we've been able to dive a couple of times a week since then. My wife says we won the covid lottery.

You will be glad to be in Hawaii if this happens again.

Solo shore diving weekly in Nova Scotia right through the full pandemic time. That's one thing for me that hasn't been affected at all.

Diving in Hawaii!?!? :callme:

I got four boat dives in this past Fri/Sat. Though restrictions (10 per boat) are making it hard to get out as consistently as pre COVID

Shore diving can be done as often as one wants to

This past Friday was my first diving day since the pandemic started. Me and the buddy picked a weekday. Based on previous weekday meetups at the quarry (Lake Phoenix), we figured that it wouldn’t be busy and there would be plenty of room to setup.

As it turned out...It wasn’t busy and despite rain first thing in the morning, it ended up being a nice day. We setup on opposite ends of a large bench and wore masks while in the vicinity of others on the surface.

I won’t be doing any traveling anytime soon, but it was good to get out, scratch the itch, and get a few dives in.

Oh, and I found a quarter at the beginning of dive #3.:D

Fortunately, here in the Piedmont area of NC, we have 6 dive quarries from 5 minutes to 2 hours away. We've been diving almost weekly since late May. Hope to get down to the coast a couple of times before the end og October.

Not much local diving where I live (at least not the kind I really enjoy). I've cancelled four trips so far this year via Covid, but I'm in Coz right now. Some say Yea, some say Nay, but I see the look in the eye of the dive shop and restaurant folks and well... I'm glad I'm here. Hopefully it all turns out all right. I'm following protocols with a vengeance. At this point it's all rationalizations and risk assessment, but as divers we're used to that. Everyone needs to figure it out for themselves (but please wear a mask) 'cause that's where we are. Anything more said and it's off to the pub. Take care and dive safely (if you dive) above and below the water. All IMHO, YMMV :cheers: :clearmask:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom