Leaking DSV on SF2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mgif99

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My DSV bubbles horribly underwater with a positive pressure test. I can't find any resources online of how to fix this. Is there a rebuild kit? Are there O rings in there that need to be replace? Any help appreciated!

Good luck.
Most of us have replaced the SF2 DSV with Golem Gear DSVs, since the material used by IQSub for the Golemgear DSV actually works underwater.
The SF2 DSV uses a nylon type material that swells up in water making it extremely hard to open or close the DSV. Many of us have disassembled the SF2 DSV and sanded the inner piece to make it easier to rotate.
Too much sanding and it leaks.
No sanding and you have great difficulty opening and closing it completely - then it leaks.too.

Make the best out of a unworkable situation and replace it with the Golem Gear DSV.

Michael

This issue is one of the things that I really appreciate about KISS rebreathers. They have manuals online that provide step by step procedures for servicing almost everything. The BOV and it's 2nd Stage, 1st Stages they provide, etc.

I take apart my Hollis BOV a couple times a year to clean and lube everything. They will get a bit sticky and maybe not hold vacuum as you get sand and salt and the lubrication wears away. Usually a good clean and lube is all that's needed. O-rings will last a good number of years before you need to replace them, but you should always have a fully set of spares for your unit.

SF2 DSV isn’t best possible. When it starts to leak, you can try to tight knob fixing screw inside DSV little, maybe it is loose? If it does not help, have to open it, wash + change O-rings. After 20 to 30 dives the same again.

At least my unit quality of parts is so low, that I can't make any good service. E.g. Drum inside DSV isn't even circle and bad machining scratches in the body part just in sealing surfaces.

I changed little bigger O-rings to the drum and it helps, however, there are better DSV's on market and no need to focus for continuous service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom