Six Pack Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arew+4

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Like the title says, looking for recommendations for six pack. Contacted one of the ops that get good reviews on the board, and was a little shell shocked by the prices. There are five of us, and since all of the wrecks would be new to us I asked about a guide. For the guide I would have to buy a seat and pay $60 per person. Am I out of touch it is the pp charge for a guide out of line? I'm not hiring a team of Sherpas, just some one with a little local knowledge to lead us thru the swim thrus and point out the resident critters.

So basically I would be buying outtout boat and be paying a huge premium on top of it. Not what I was expecting based on prior experience.

Maybe it's different in PA. The few times I've paid someone to be a guide, there has been a fixed cost for the service. I'm pretty sure I remember paying more than 60 bucks... Obviously you do have to pay the boat for his seat unless you're hiring a guide affiliated with the op.

If I've got 4 or more, I usually just go with the "private charter" option which usually is either half day or full day at a fixed price for the boat. If you do that, you shouldn't be paying "extra" for the guide's seat.

$300 for the guide. How many hours dock to dock are you talking about? I'd imagine 4-5 hrs? doesn't wound unreasonable to me

Down in South Florida, many six packs will give me the boat for the price of 5. So a seat for a guide (were one needed) would be included. I would not have a problem paying a guide 60 per dive, but 60 per person is $300 for a two tank dive.

$300 for the guide. How many hours dock to dock are you talking about? I'd imagine 4-5 hrs? doesn't wound unreasonable to me
So dive guides generally make $60-$75 an hour with no overhead but tank fills, or is that a separate line item?:wink:

4-5hrs hah! I wish... It's a LONG way out. Dock to Dock is typically around 10 hours off of NC. The wrecks are a long way out

4-5hrs hah! I wish... It's a LONG way out. Dock to Dock is typically around 10 hours off of NC. The wrecks are a long way out

This. You’re talking 4+ hours just for transit to some sites. It was slightly less transit time for the outfit I went out with (Jet Lag Dive Charter), because they had a fairly quick boat.

It’s a LONG day for NC offshore “all day” dives. The 6 pack prices in NC are a reflection of that fact. We did a three tank dive. So 30 min dive, 60 min SI, 30 min dive, 60 min SI, 30 min dive, and pack up and head back to the dock. It was a long day, but an absolute blast.

Once you dive off a boat like that though, you’ll get what you’re paying for. It’s worth every penny to not be crammed on a cattle boat.

Except in this instance they are taking about taking us on a standard inside shallow double dip.

Just seems a bit pricey to me for a family fun day, approaching 1K, with tips. Could probably get round trip airfare to Ft Lauderdale for the five of us and still have a little left over for the first dive.

Edit, over $1k forgot about the tank rentals not included with the boat ride.:(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom