Upgrading From GoPro Hero 4 Silver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jafo19D

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have the zero 4 silver and haven’t pulled the trigger yet on an upgrade. Interested in hearing from people that have upgraded from this particular camera and what you thought about the difference. One of the reasons I haven’t upgraded is that the housing and batteries will have to be replaced as well.

BTW the Paralenz looks like an interesting camera.

I'm in a similar situation. But the Hero 4 Silver is a very good camera for underwater video. The housing of the 4 allows better access to menus than the 8 and I get image stabilization in my Cyberlink PowerDirector software. I'm not convinced of the benefits of the 8.

I have a Hero 4 Black and also thought about upgrading but have not seen a reason to do so yet.

As @Hatul said, I have image stabilization in my editing software (Davinci Resolve 16) but I also shoot using a try so I do not need it very often.

The 4 Black is working just fine for me and until that changes, I don't see me upgrading.

What light setup do you currently have? If you have an "upgrade budget" you will see a bigger improvement by upgrading your lights rather than your camera.

The only reason I would upgrade the gopro is to have the much superior image stabilisation of the newer models. If you find your footage wobbly, it will help. Sure you can stabilise in post, but you will have to crop a bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom