How is Ramon's Village Resort for diving and sight seeing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kenderson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looking at taking a vacation to Belize for diving and to see some of the mainland stuff. My girlfriend and I are looking at staying a week or so. She would like to do three days of diving, a day on the mainland, and then a couple of days just laying on the beach. Well, she wants to lay on the beach, I might go diving.

How is Ramon's Village? It looks like a good place, and it's right near the city which is a plus. They also have a couple of tours that we are interested in.

What places on Ambergris Caye shouldn't be missed? Are there any other places we might think about staying at?

Never stayed there but heard good things. It's a bit pricier than staying other places on Ambergris. I prefer nearby Caye Caulker, which is smaller, more laid back, and walkable but still plenty to see and do. Your best diving will be on the outer atolls and maybe better beaches as well but it's the priciest option.

We stayed at Sunbreeze which is just down the beach. We at at Ramon's several times and the food was very good. Ramon's dive shop was much better than the one at Sunbreeze. I dove Bluehole with them and had a great trip. They did a surface interval at Half Moon Kaye and it was one of the most beautiful islands I had seen. I did a trip report about Ambergris a while back. It has some of the details you are looking for.

Trip Report-LONG-Ambergris Caye, Sunbreeze Hotel, Ambergris Divers, Blue Hole, Food

Safe travels,

Jay

Ramons is a good spot. The dive operation is great there as well, although I personally dive with Belize pro divers. Ramons and amigos del mar have the big boats so you can possibly get out to blue hole to punch the ticket.

ramons is also a good spot to walk around town (although sun breeze is marginally better location for town, ramons is a nicer hotel)

lots of stuff ‘not to miss’ depending on day you are there and if you rent a golf cart...stuff like:

stellas sunset for wine
Wine de vine for Tuesday social
Robin’s for jerk if you drive a bit north ( it’s worth it)
Chicken drop
Hermit crab racing at canucks
Pies from boogies belly ( email them and order lobster pies if you are in season)
Food tour around town is fun with Belize food tours
Coconut cream burritos at waragumas are pretty much a ‘must try’ or you can do the challenge and get your pic on the wall
Elvies does a Mayan buffet on ‘Friday night I think’ where they make all the classic old Mayan recipes..not sure is buffets are happening now though...
Nice to take a drive up to the truck stop on a wed/thurs and grab something to eat from the permanent food trucks and some beers then pub crawl it back into town.

p.m me of you have specific questions. Happy to opine...

I saw your post before, gave a lot of good info.

Ramons is a good spot. The dive operation is great there as well, although I personally dive with Belize pro divers. Ramons and amigos del mar have the big boats so you can possibly get out to blue hole to punch the ticket.

ramons is also a good spot to walk around town (although sun breeze is marginally better location for town, ramons is a nicer hotel)

Good to hear that it's a good spot to walk around town. I know it's not a huge place, but we still like getting out and seeing the city. That's quite a nice list of places to check out.

We still don't know when we will be able to go. Right now we're hoping to look at December, but who knows with all that's going on. We've been wanting to go for a couple of years now, but we only just got our certs so it will be better when we can go.

I think this is room 13, or 3 at Ramon's, heh. If you're on the beach with your back to the ocean, it's to the left (south?) of the bar a distance of maybe 50 feet. From this room it was a 45 second walk to my gear locker on the dock.

It's thatch roofed, spacious and has no tv. There is no ceiling on the bathroom. You can see a red thermos on the sink counter. They filled it with ice every day when the rooms were serviced. The back wall, where you see the window, has an employee walkway right behind it. The walkway is probably 5 feet wide and the other side of the walkway is a cement wall.

When in the room, you might notice some traffic noise. A couple times it sounded like a car was going to drive right into the room. Other than that, it wasn't something I really noticed and never heard anything after about 9 or 10 pm. In spite of this, I'd request this room if I were to stay there again.

It was clean and the location was nice as it was away from the central hotel activity (bar and restaurant). I'd usually get more ice once I was in for the night, and the ice was probably 20 seconds away. Very convenient.

This was 11 years ago and at that time, the restaurant was a little spendy for supper. It was OK, but I wasn't overwhelmed. Lunch was good. I was not there on an AI plan, but I think you can do AI there.

As mentioned in a post above, Ramon's is close to "town". It's a block or so from the airport to Ramon's. They picked us up and wanted to give us a ride. We asked "How far is it?" and the guy pointed straight ahead and said it's right there, or something like that. We walked as it was so close. I never heard a plane while there.

As I recall, the bar and pool were both quite small. I don't recall if I ever saw anyone in the pool, but that could just be a timing thing. The room I was in was at the back of the property and part of a stretch of rooms that were together like a motel. I suspect that these rooms were lower end. There were other smaller buildings on the grounds, some two story, situated between the ocean and the hotel. I think these were upper end rooms and were single cabanas and multi-room cabanas.

IMG_0001.JPG

I think this is room 13, or 3 at Ramon's, heh. If you're on the beach with your back to the ocean, it's to the left (south?) of the bar a distance of maybe 50 feet. From this room it was a 45 second walk to my gear locker on the dock.

It's thatch roofed, spacious and has no tv. There is no ceiling on the bathroom. You can see a red thermos on the sink counter. They filled it with ice every day when the rooms were serviced. The back wall, where you see the window, has an employee walkway right behind it. The walkway is probably 5 feet wide and the other side of the walkway is a cement wall.

When in the room, you might notice some traffic noise. A couple times it sounded like a car was going to drive right into the room. Other than that, it wasn't something I really noticed and never heard anything after about 9 or 10 pm. In spite of this, I'd request this room if I were to stay there again.

It was clean and the location was nice as it was away from the central hotel activity (bar and restaurant). I'd usually get more ice once I was in for the night, and the ice was probably 20 seconds away. Very convenient.

This was 11 years ago and at that time, the restaurant was a little spendy for supper. It was OK, but I wasn't overwhelmed. Lunch was good. I was not there on an AI plan, but I think you can do AI there.

As mentioned in a post above, Ramon's is close to "town". It's a block or so from the airport to Ramon's. They picked us up and wanted to give us a ride. We asked "How far is it?" and the guy pointed straight ahead and said it's right there, or something like that. We walked as it was so close. I never heard a plane while there.

As I recall, the bar and pool were both quite small. I don't recall if I ever saw anyone in the pool, but that could just be a timing thing. The room I was in was at the back of the property and part of a stretch of rooms that were together like a motel. I suspect that these rooms were lower end. There were other smaller buildings on the grounds, some two story, situated between the ocean and the hotel. I think these were upper end rooms and were single cabanas and multi-room cabanas.

View attachment 606730

Ramon's has burned down and been rebuilt again since you were there.

Despite being rebuilt, it looks much the same. I've always thought it quite overpriced for what you actually get. Yes, it's handy if you're using Ramon's dive op.

I prefer to get a place with a kitchenette.

What places on Ambergris Caye shouldn't be missed? Are there any other places we might think about staying at?

We stayed at Ramon's once and did our diving there. Discovered the condos next door (The Belize Palms - Suites & Hotel - San Pedro, Belize). For less than the price of 2 rooms at Ramon's you can get a 2 bdrm., 2 bath condo on the beach (same beach as Ramon's). We stay here & dive with Ramon's.

We stayed at Ramon's once and did our diving there. Discovered the condos next door (The Belize Palms - Suites & Hotel - San Pedro, Belize). For less than the price of 2 rooms at Ramon's you can get a 2 bdrm., 2 bath condo on the beach (same beach as Ramon's). We stay here & dive with Ramon's.

Exactly. This is a place that I have recommended in the past.

A few places in Belize....just found this one. Chabil Mar in Placencia, have not stayed there but looks nice. Would like to stay there. Also, Blackbird Caye, Turneffe Flats, and Turneffe Island Resort. These places cater to divers as well as those who like to fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom