Sleeping in the tropics.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have gone without A/C in my budget diving days, I had some great experiences and some not as comfortable, now my budget has increased so I always book with A/C. Your nighttime temps i could handle, but only with well screened bungalow, mosquito nets and fans dont cut it with me, the fan doesnt get enough air thru the net. Afternoon temps in the bungalow matter too. i usually take a nap and have stayed in a resort where even with the A/C running full it almost got unbearable due to sun exposure and no thermal mass, and undersized units. I prefer being able to nap not having to take a shower to cool down. I have stayed at a resort where you can pick A/C or not, and pay accordingly.

I would require the A/C.

If the diving is great - I’ll gladly be a patron knowing that I have a place to escape the humidity throughout the day and/or be able to get a good nights sleep.

Like dirtfarmer, I would gladly pay accordingly and don’t forget the quality blanket.

No AC for me. Its always seemed a little colonial in places where electricity costs a fortune and infrastructure is scarce.

I would recommend trying the mother nature approach first. Plant a couple rows of trees or dense and tall bushes between you and the noisy neighbor. Always keep windows and walls out of direct sunlight. Get a dog to sht in their yard if they don't cut it out with the noise.

On the noise...pass out ear plugs. I wouldn’t break the bank attempting to soundproof rooms. I slept next to a flight line in a tent in 110*F+ temperatures, but managed to get plenty of sleep because of ear plugs and A/C.

There are plenty of folks...myself included...that aren’t going to consider accommodations without A/C. If you haven’t gotten complaints about the lack of A/C, it’s because (as was already stated by other posters)...those folks are simply staying elsewhere.

There is no way you can satisfy everyone needs!
Split level AC is a lot quieter but more expensive in cost and installation.
Soundproof usually means AC.

There is no way you can satisfy everyone needs!
Split level AC is a lot quieter but more expensive in cost and installation.
Soundproof usually means AC.

You definitely can’t. Just saying that if the goal is to open things up to other groups of folks...adding any kind of air conditioning to cool the rooms is going to accomplish that.

I’m not sure what one (A/C) has to do with the other (sound proofing). Sure, if it’s in the budget, you would ideally do both, but in term of prioritizing things...it is much easier for someone that’s used to an A/C to be able to deal with a bit of noise than it is having no A/C.

Personally, I like air conditioning when I sleep. I’m happy to enjoy what nature provides (Plus a fan) the rest of the time. A cool sleeping area would work for me.

Thank you all for your thoughts. Indeed I probably do not hear much complaints because the people who want AC never came. So obvious that I did not think about that :). We always tried to use a little energy as possible. And we get much power from our solar power installation. But we are connected to the grid since last year as well. My idea was to built the sleeping compartiments in 5 of our cottages only. I think that if I can limit the space of the sleeping part to 15m3, a 500W AC, set a 40% power would be more than enough. If we would want to cool the whole cottage it would use indeed lots of energy, and it would be very hard to isolate it aginst sound and insects. We will put an adjustable thermostate in the compartiment. I really like the idea of getting fresh dry air in lower to the floor and letting the warmer (used) air flow out at the ceiling. Thi would prevent the problems which people describe who do not want to have AC. What I like too is the idea that you can adjust the brightness and the temperature of the light. The indoor unit would be placed outside the sleeping compartiment and the outdoor unit outside the cottage. The cottage are rather far from each other, but anyway we have to prevent they disturb the guests next door. Our restaurant is very spacious and open without getting direct sunlight inside. I think that the ceiling fans with an extra standing fan still will do. More feedback is very welcome. We still have plenty of time to expiriment and adjust our ideas. One of the most difficult things is how to keep the low frequency out. The period around New Year was rather disturbing last year because of the parties in the villages. I think to build 40 cm thick stone walls and a thick coconut wooden ceiling. No windows and only one heavy wooden door. But again, advice more than welcome.

You definitely can’t. Just saying that if the goal is to open things up to other groups of folks...adding any kind of air conditioning to cool the rooms is going to accomplish that.

I’m not sure what one (A/C) has to do with the other (sound proofing). Sure, if it’s in the budget, you would ideally do both, but in term of prioritizing things...it is much easier for someone that’s used to an A/C to be able to deal with a bit of noise than it is having no A/C.
I read your comment after I made my reply. But is it more clear now what I have in my mind? Please shoot holes in my plan.

I read your comment after I made my reply. But is it more clear now what I have in my mind? Please shoot holes in my plan.

I think you have a good plan. If it is not feasible to seal up and cool the entire cottage, it’s a good idea to at least provide a cooled sleeping space/room.

That kind of A/C setup is something that anyone that’s lived in a house without central heating and cooling (still fairly common) would be accustomed to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom