PADI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OnTheMark

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I recently completed my Open Water Certification and am super excited about scuba. In my college days, I used to scuba dive and was certified by IDEA. This time, I got my certification with PADI. It was only after signing up, I started sensing a general dislike for PADI from the scuba community. From what I pick up, PADI tends to push courses (other agencies may be guilty of this too), rush divers through programs and reward dive centers based on their revenue production with little regard to quality.

Is that the gist of it or is there more? Do PADI divers tend to be over confident or jerks? Having just gone through the course, I felt ok with it. However, I am extremely comfortable in water so I may not be a good judge. It may be more dependent on the instructor versus the agency and I'll say that our instruction did not let anyone take any shortcuts; everyone had to do everything.

Just interested to know what I've got myself into and if I should hide the fact that I got my certification via PADI.

You find a lot of PADI haters; some of that is group mentality....it is cool to pile on.
Just be a good diver.....show you had a good instructor....surprise the PADI haters, many of whom are probably not such good divers themselves! It is always good to have someone to look down upon...makes the inadequate feel better.

When 90% of divers carry PADI cards, and 99% of instructors are PADI, the hate is misplaced.

I completely made those numbers up, but I’d bet I’m not far off.

When 90% of divers carry PADI cards, and 99% of instructors are PADI, the hate is misplaced.

I completely made those numbers up, but I’d bet I’m not far off.

Yup. They’re not. The vast majority of people that I run into have PADI cert(s).

Just interested to know what I've got myself into and if I should hide the fact that I got my certification via PADI.

One time last year I had a person make a snide comment about being certified by PADI when getting a fill. The shop was NAUI dive center. I think it was a running joke in the shop.

I was not a big fan of my PADI training. I think this is partially PADI's fault. I have talked to a few instructors who said quantity over quality is emphasized by PADI and by extension their shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom