Boat dive without buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On Grand Cayman, all of the dive ops will put a DM in the water with the group and will lead the dive. Some ops will buddy singles up at the start of the dive, some lead the dive as a group and then buddy you up when you get back under the boat with someone who has similar gas remaining, and at least one I go with leads the group and after we get back to the boat you are allowed to tool around under the boat as as you can see the DM, the mooring line or the boat and are not alone - so you have to come up with the last diver before you (although on my last dive with them, the DM stayed down with me so I could finish my air - got a nice 75 minutes). Most of the dive ops I go with here are pretty flexible. I almost always dive as a single, and it's been many dives since I had to buddy with anyone - although I will occasionally buddy with another diver I may know, as most of the dive ops will let you go off on your own if you have a buddy.

Anyway, check with several dive ops wherever you end up going, and find one whose approach you like.

And regarding Cayman, the borders are closed to tourists and probably will not open until the end of the year at the earliest.

I’ve never had an operator say that I couldn’t dive because I didn’t come with a buddy. Ex. I buddied up with a guy from Australia when I was in the Keys. Had a great time chatting and diving with him.

That and for the operators that didn’t put a DM in the water automatically...if you ask, they’ll generally do that for a nominal fee.

In Ft Lauderdale, 2 ops that I use will find a buddy for you or you can pay for a DM to buddy up with. I pay the 45 bucks so that I have someone looking out for me and not following someone else’s agenda. I tried both and prefer paying for a buddy. That’s just my preference when I can’t dive with my friend.

Thanks for all the great advice. For those who asked, I'm looking at doing a boat dive either in Pensacola (where I got certified), the keys or maybe Grand Cayman. I have the extremely good fortune of having a daughter that works for an airline so I can fly stand-by. Also, looking for good dives that are 60' or less, since I don't have my advanced certification yet
If you make it to Aruba, let me know...be glad to be your buddy / guide.

If Pensacola has the same culture as PCB, the DM's role is only to anchor the boat. Then "The pool is open!" and every man is left for himself. You are essentially solo diving from the boat, but if you ask, they'll find you a buddy. In Grand Cayman you dive in a group with a DM or even 2, and there's always a chance to find an insta-buddy.

Being a newbie, you better start with GC, since it is much easier, especially, in the West and South of the island. In the Gulf, the visibility can be dismal and because you dive wrecks at 60-80 ft, you really need to be careful about your N2 intake.

I’ve dived Pensacola, and Orange Beach which is nearby.
Yeah, DM goes in first, attaches the boat’s mooring line into the wreck, and rigs the side- line from anchor line (typically tied in at about 20 feet depth), to the back of the boat. He/she surfaces and once on board, lets captain, and us, know what the viz, temperature, and current are like, and what the wreck is like for those who are new to that site.
Then you and buddy splash in, pull or fin yourselves along that line, emptying your bc along the way, equalize eardrums, keep buddy in sight and pull yourself down the anchor line. Do it once or twice and it becomes second nature.
If you want to stay less than 60’, Book an “inshore” trip, about 4 miles out where the bottom is about 60’ and the wrecks or bridge rubble will be around 45-55’— otherwise you’ll go “offshore” about 10 miles out, bottom about 90 and wrecks about 65-85’.
It’s fun diving and the shoreside is vacation country, very nice beaches, it’s a vacation and weekend area.
Arrive early, let them know you need a buddy and what you’re experience level is. If the viz is good, Weather good, water warm, your instabuddy is experienced and patient, and DM says no current, this might be the time to make a 70 or 80’ dive. I’ve been a newbie there, and have buddies with newbies. I say all this because there tend to be more offshore trips than inshore.
Best wishes. You’ll like it.

I’ve dived Pensacola, and Orange Beach which is nearby.
Yeah, DM goes in first, attaches the boat’s mooring line into the wreck, and rigs the side- line from anchor line (typically tied in at about 20 feet depth), to the back of the boat. He/she surfaces and once on board, lets captain, and us, know what the viz, temperature, and current are like, and what the wreck is like for those who are new to that site.
Then you and buddy splash in, pull or fin yourselves along that line, emptying your bc along the way, equalize eardrums, keep buddy in sight and pull yourself down the anchor line. Do it once or twice and it becomes second nature.
If you want to stay less than 60’, Book an “inshore” trip, about 4 miles out where the bottom is about 60’ and the wrecks or bridge rubble will be around 45-55’— otherwise you’ll go “offshore” about 10 miles out, bottom about 90 and wrecks about 65-85’.
It’s fun diving and the shoreside is vacation country, very nice beaches, it’s a vacation and weekend area.
Arrive early, let them know you need a buddy and what you’re experience level is. If the viz is good, Weather good, water warm, your instabuddy is experienced and patient, and DM says no current, this might be the time to make a 70 or 80’ dive. I’ve been a newbie there, and have buddies with newbies. I say all this because there tend to be more offshore trips than inshore.
Best wishes. You’ll like it.
Yes, I've taken boats out of Pensacola, Destin & PCB and found exactly the same things you say.

Back
Top Bottom