US Divers MH8A Transmitter troubleshooting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Send it to Huish and $100 and they will send you a refurbish one.
I thought Huish was Oceanic and US Divers went to Aqualung. I know all these MH8A transmitters use the same patent developed by PPS, but would Huish really do a straight refurb for me?

I thought Huish was Oceanic and US Divers went to Aqualung. I know all these MH8A transmitters use the same patent developed by PPS, but would Huish really do a straight refurb for me?
No, they don't refurb yours, they send you a refurbished (or new) one for $120. Pretty good deal.
Go to http://huish.returnsportal.net

ADDED: I think your serial number must start with BM-
Does yours?
If not, it is too old for "service" and not price list.

You could take it apart by taking those screws out on side. I have repaired mine (microprocessor plate was bit twisted, easy fix) Just be careful it has few really small springs inside. So if you take it apart then do it inside bowl.Just be careful here is 1 easily bendable part. It´s not hard if you do slowly.

You could take it apart by taking those screws out on side. I have repaired mine (microprocessor plate was bit twisted, easy fix) Just be careful it has few really small springs inside. So if you take it apart then do it inside bowl.Just be careful here is 1 easily bendable part. It´s not hard if you do slowly.
Hey, nothing to lose at this point! Plus, we'd all love to see what is inside!

Hi @aviator8

MH8A was granted to Pelagic Pressure Systems in 1996 by the FCC List of Perdix AI compatible transmitters Why do you think this is a US Divers brand, is it labeled as such? I did not know that US Divers ever had an AI using the PPS transmitter, but I don't know a lot of things. If this was actually an Oceanic transmitter, you could have it replaced by Oceanic/Huish for $120. The service program is described on the Oceanic website under support/service. An RMA is obtained through the Huish return portal http://huish.returnsportal.net/ I have used this twice for old Pro Plus 2 computers, once for a transmitter, and once for a compass, worked perfectly for me.

I would also think the 1st 6 digits are the serial number. Some transmitters have the manufacture date after the serial number, but the format is mo/yr. I would try all 4 sequences of 6 digits before giving up 006253, 062430, 625301, and 253017. You have already tried 2.

If all fails, I would remove all the screws and take a look inside, what would you have to lose?

Best of luck, good diving

Edit: I take it back looks like there was a US Divers Scan 5 computer that looks like a rebranded Oceanic DataTrans. The transmitter looms like your photo. I don't know if Huish would support it, would not hurt to ask

I think your serial number must start with BM-
Does yours?
There are no letters in the SN on mine

You could take it apart by taking those screws out on side.
If I have no options left to troubleshoot or a path to fix or get a refurb/buy out at a $120 price I will take it apart to see if I can noodle out the issue.

Why do you think this is a US Divers brand, is it labeled as such?
US Divers is imbeded in the end where it says FCC ID

If all fails, I would remove all the screws and take a look inside, what would you have to lose?
That's the plan if I have no other path.

I sent an inquiry to aqualung, Ill see what they say. Next stop will be to Huish. If all else fails We get to experiment.

Well I sent inquiry's in to Aqualung twice with no response. I tried Huish to just in case they could do something. They approved an RMA and I am getting a new replacement for $120, so worth the gamble in the end. I wont need to open it all up and experiment to try and fix it.

Well I sent inquiry's in to Aqualung twice with no response. I tried Huish to just in case they could do something. They approved an RMA and I am getting a new replacement for $120, so worth the gamble in the end. I wont need to open it all up and experiment to try and fix it.
Excellent....an entirely new one for $120. Is a good deal. Although, I will admit to being a little disappointed that we don't get to hear about the old one being opened and explored.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom