scopalamine side effects, better options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bonine the night before and morning of a dive, and GinGins. And I tend to not eat before diving, just in case :confused: The only thing I notice from the meds is a little dry mouth... Hope you find what works for you!

There are two Dramamine formulas I am aware of. I can't do the one with Meclizine as it makes eating utensils float up off the galley table and mouth show tunes in my general direction. :) The other formula works great for me. Only side-effect is slight drowsiness sometimes. My 2psi.

Did your Dr accidentally prescribe Mescaline instead? :p

Bonine the night before and morning of a dive, and GinGins. And I tend to not eat before diving, just in case :confused: The only thing I notice from the meds is a little dry mouth... Hope you find what works for you!

Did your Dr accidentally prescribe Mescaline instead? :p

Reading the side effects of the scoplamine patches reveals the potential for OP's eye issue.

Bonine/Meclizine works best for me, and I have never had any side effects using it.

I'll have to try cutting them in half I used Meclizine to combat the transderm scop withdrawal when I got home but never tried it on a boat . Dramamine knocks me out I noticed the Meclizine made me drowsy too but not as bad.

The answer is meclizine. Less sedating.
For those touching the scopolamine patch be aware that if some gets on your hands it will transfer there too. In all likelihood, once your hands get wet, it will wash out. Also when you manipulate the patch, you are cutting the dose if you make the patch smaller.

After all is said and done, people may have slightly different reactions to medications so it pays to try diff options.

You could give cocculine a go...

I'll second that. Several fellow divers of mine use it because dramanine was no help. They're very satisfied with Coculine, you just need to remember to begin taking it the day before or eve to days prior to diving.

Scope is also available as an oral tablet/lozenge. The tablet is made by Bayer and called Kwells and is OTC in the UK and Australia (most likely the EU also) eBay is your friend

Another alternative is to have your Dr write a script for a compounding pharmacy to make a lozenge

With either option it is much easier to meter the dose than the patch

The patch does this to me as well. I'm no doctor here, but my eyes seem to be dialated which i'm guessing messes with my near vision (like when you goto the eye doc and they dialate your pupils, my near vision is shot for a while).

I'm a little dopey as well, and get narc'd a bit easier too. I carry them and only bring them out on liveaboards and if the situation gets rough. Dramamine can get me through the day trips.

For what its worth, over time it took rougher seas to get me nauseous. At first, I would get nauseous at anything above completely calm seas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom