Can we go to Coz yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just returned from Mega...place is empty. .feels like we have the island to ourselves.

We used to stay at Casa Del Mar, but have switched to Hotel Cozumel. Casa Del Mar is very worn, and some years were worse than others. If you stay there, you MUST get the upgraded room. There is a significant difference in the rooms, including that standard rooms have no balcony.
In the summer, they host a student program and so the hotel is filled with young students, I think upper high school age. They used to crowd the lobby, but this changed once the Internet was extended to the hotel rooms, and not just the lobby. I didn't mind the students, but a couple of the adults in our party did.
The best feature is that there is some shade at the swim up bar. The bartenders are very good and personable. They have a lovely garden near the restaurant and pool. There are bottled water fountains on each floor of the hotel so water is always available.
Since we stopped going there, a Latin beach club was built on the waterfront. It seems to be oriented to cruise ships, and is not included in the hotel price. I've read that the loud music interferes with enjoyment of the pool. The waterfront must be pretty small without that space.
Their pier is very convenient, and great if your dive op picks you up there.
The location is a bit far from town, and the main reason we switched. We spend less on cabs now.
Ernesto's is across the street. We loved having breakfast at Ernesto's before diving, where we watched the businesses getting ready for their day, cruise ships pulling in and discharging passengers, Roberta's Scuba Shack divers arriving and getting ready, etc. Javier, the churro guy, used to stop at Ernesto's each morning and we would buy churros from him.
When you stay there, you may have free use of Nachi Cocom. (I don't know if this has changed.) it is a very nice beach club to the south. Sometimes we had our dive boat drop us there after diving, and just took a cab back to the hotel after enjoying the beach and lunch for a couple of hours.
Thank you for your detailed response. I was concerned about the distance from town, so I'm glad to have it confirmed. You like Hotel Cozumel? People seem to have strong reactions about the place. :)[/QUOTE]

Not my favorite airport, but plenty of time.

Last time I was there was a lifetime ago to catch a connection to Key West. Probably 25 years ago.

You like Hotel Cozumel? People seem to have strong reactions about the place.
Funny how that works. It's just a hotel. Looking on my go-to site for hotel bookings, I see some odd listings for some of these properties. If I was booking, I might call them first to ask them to explain.

Casa del Mar shows unavailable August 21-28. The hotel is open prior to that, and we know that the town is virtually empty, so I have to wonder.

Casa Mexicana shows unavailable for all of August, opening September 1. As low as occupancy is, they may have closed until then to cut costs, but I wonder if that's accurate.

Hotel Cozumel shows Standard room, pool view, free cancelation, breakfast for two at $68/night. Partial ocean view at $84/night. Get real.

The same Hotel Cozumel All Inclusive listing also includes Standard room, pool view, free cancelation, breakfast for two at $104/night. Who is in charge here? Actual All Inclusive is showing $128/night. For two people that's possibly appealing compared to $104 but not compared to $68.

I guess booking sites like Hotels.com are laying people off during the lull, but I wonder if their scaled back workforce is even working.

Funny how that works. It's just a hotel. Looking on my go-to site for hotel bookings, I see some odd listings for some of these properties. If I was booking, I might call them first to ask them to explain.

Casa del Mar shows unavailable August 21-28. The hotel is open prior to that, and we know that the town is virtually empty, so I have to wonder.

Casa Mexicana shows unavailable for all of August, opening September 1. As low as occupancy is, they may have closed until then to cut costs, but I wonder if that's accurate.

Hotel Cozumel shows Standard room, pool view, free cancelation, breakfast for two at $68/night. Partial ocean view at $84/night. Get real.

The same Hotel Cozumel All Inclusive listing also includes Standard room, pool view, free cancelation, breakfast for two at $104/night. Who is in charge here? Actual All Inclusive is showing $128/night. For two people that's possibly appealing compared to $104 but not compared to $68.

I guess booking sites like Hotels.com are laying people off during the lull, but I wonder if their scaled back workforce is even working.

Hotels are limited to 30% occupancy - maybe Casa Del Mar is at capacity for that week. Casa Mexicana is closed, rumors of remodeling but they are closed.

The prices at Hotel Cozumel, well, we're all confused down here......

Some residences are classified as apartments and therefore not restricted to 50%. Aldora is such an entity, but there not full by any means at the moment. From what I can tell, there are 9 people in total hete.

Landed at CZM today. Flew United connecting through IAH. Easy peasy. Not many folks and no rushing around. United was seating middle seats, but the flight wasn't packed. Did the boarding starting from the back row (as mentioned earlier), 5 rows at a time. Went very smoothly. IMHO it's a far more logical way to do it. Nobody clogging isles in front, less banging bags, and stepping on feet as folks try to get to the back. The flight crew handled it like pros. I've been looking for the silver lining to this mess. If this is it, I feel shorted...:shakehead:. I'm the only guest where I'm staying (there's only four rooms). The pool is clean & cool and my hosts were happy to see me. Diving in the "big pool" tomorrow...it's about d@#n time. Woohoo...:clearmask:

Hotels are limited to 30% occupancy - maybe Casa Del Mar is at capacity for that week. Casa Mexicana is closed, rumors of remodeling but they are closed.

The prices at Hotel Cozumel, well, we're all confused down here......
I checked my findings at Kayak.com too, and they were similar for Casa del Mar and Casa Mexicana: unavailable for the targeted dates at least, August 23-September 3.

For Hotel Cozumel, Kayak sends me to Hotels.edreams quoting with free cancelation at $87/night and free breakfasts vs $120/night All Inclusive. Ok, I'd be pissed if I paid $33/night more for AI and felt stuck with mediocre food.

Hotels.com still offers free cancelation at $68/night with free breakfasts so they just win again. That site just has two booking categories for that property. Hotel Cozumel Resort and Hotel Cozumel Resort All-Inclusive, and in the latter offer the $68 room for $104 or All-Inclusive for $113, so the $9/night upgrade is a bargain unless you also noticed the $68 rate. Buyer Beware again.

Dinner at Hemingways tonight...one of the best skirt steaks I've ever eaten! 180 pesos...got dang i have to move here :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom