fatality with cly exsplosion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abnfrog

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
DAMN !!!! :eek:

".....66 of those cylinders fell over and some were propelled around the site at over 170mph. The cylinders caused excessive damage and struck numerous workers. The cylinders injured 6 workers and killed another....."

My charged cylinders are standing around unsecured in my garage RIGHT NOW. That seems to be pretty common in shops around here; the danger is real, but they’re shorter and lighter than these industrial size cylinders. Am I being reckless? Do other divers here on Scubaboard keep their tanks standing up just for the convenience of grabbing them by the valve without stooping down?

My charged cylinders are standing around unsecured in my garage RIGHT NOW. That seems to be pretty common in shops around here; the danger is real, but they’re shorter and lighter than these industrial size cylinders. Am I being reckless? Do other divers here on Scubaboard keep their tanks standing up just for the convenience of grabbing them by the valve without stooping down?
Mine single tanks are generally stored laying on their side if not in a rack. Doubles are leaned up against the wall and each other or slid into a rack. I try not to store single tanks free standing, especially the smaller ones as I've knocked those over way more than I care to admit.

first i will say this is only Canada but wsib / osha etc has specified free standing storage tanks are a NO GO (check the green book ) if its commercial , i dont think they have any control over that , BUT if a lds doesn't have them confined/secured its an immediate 5 k fine that can be imposed , i know of 1 dive shop that got hit with that fine

first i will say this is only Canada but wsib / osha etc has specified free standing storage tanks are a NO GO (check the green book ) if its commercial , i dont think they have any control over that , BUT if a lds doesn't have them confined/secured its an immediate 5 k fine that can be imposed , i know of 1 dive shop that got hit with that fine
OSHA requires that storage bottles be secured, I know my banks are but the two bottles I am adding to the bank are not, this was a timely reminder to use my brain and get them either installed and secured or just secure them properly. I KNOW better.

Scuba tanks don't fall under the OSHA storage requirements, but some states do have state osha that applies.

My charged cylinders are standing around unsecured in my garage RIGHT NOW. That seems to be pretty common in shops around here; the danger is real, but they’re shorter and lighter than these industrial size cylinders. Am I being reckless?
What kind of pressure is involved? We always put the cap on our welders' oxygen bottle before moving it, and the supplier will not accept one returned without a cap, but aren't they charged to 12,000 psi? Edit: Nope, I checked the net. More like 2,000. Big difference, and less than most scuba tanks.

Do other divers here on Scubaboard keep their tanks standing up just for the convenience of grabbing them by the valve without stooping down?
How many do we see standing around the dock at dive charters? Then they throw them around like it's no big deal, but youtube has dozens of videos of flying tanks - pressures unknown. This one is supposedly 3500 psi. Skip to the 2:30 mark...

Then there are the Hold My Beer videos...

Back
Top Bottom