Should I buy a scuba tank or save up more to buy open water course PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To be honest, this is the first time I have ever heard of someone buying scuba diving equipment before actually doing a dive course. Not sure why you would when there is a big chance that you might not like or be suitable to it. Conned by a dive shop perhaps?

To be honest, this is the first time I have ever heard of someone buying scuba diving equipment before actually doing a dive course. Not sure why you would when there is a big chance that you might not like or be suitable to it. Conned by a dive shop perhaps?
We had someone join our club, they turned up for their first lesson with a new set of kit (£2,500). Completed the course, then went commercial (£12,000) and never dived recreational again so sold the lot for £500.

Being in Indiana, l have no idea what the local diving scene is, or the availability of rental gear is.

The Hoosier state actually has scuba diving clubs that dive in state and travel to the Caribbean (or did travel.) Quarries and lakes are the main course in Indiana. I met a guy who was diving in the ponds at the golf course I was at this past week picking up golf balls - no visibility, just finding them by feeling around - so I guess we have that also! About 160 miles across and 270 miles long, Indiana dive sites are easily drivable - extend the drive time by an hour or 2 and Illinois and Ohio provide some quarry diving. Gear rental is available at many of the parks, some provided by a local dive club. And of course Lake Michigan, at the top of the state, has diving.

Plenty of old crap filling barns (they have barns in Indiana?) and people that know nothing, willing to sell it.

Too funny!!! Some people just leave their old crap outside the barn or on the front porch!!!

I bought most of my stuff during the 3 weeks I was taking the course. I wasn't a growing boy at age 51. Also knew that I would like diving as I had snorkeled for decades.

Put away the money for your OW class, then get back to acquiring gear. Before you start buying tanks, spend some time reading the tank forum before you buy tanks, as it will save you money in the long run.

As an aside, nylon or neoprene dive socks will help when using fins that don't quite fit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom