Adding weights to the back of backplate setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to get into a measuring contest, but I dive in New England waters year round. Wet and dry.

Oh yeah! Well, I'm too much of a wimp to dive wet anytime of ye.... Nevermind, I'm losing that measuring contest! :confused:

To the OP, honestly it has never been an issue. I've never felt pushed forward waiting for a boat. The only explanation I've heard is that this is often (I won't say always) due to overweighting.

Being pushed forward is typically associated with too much weight and in the wrong place (on waist & forward), in conjunction with too much air in the wing.

Been there, done that...

Considerations:

1. proper weight check
2. steel tank vs. aluminum (aluminums suck for cold water - actually, they just suck)
3. move some weight to trim pockets on cam band
4. learn to mimic a sea otter
5. do not expect to float like you have a life jacket on if using a BP/W

Here's how xDeep sits on the surface. No need to lean back. From the left Stealth 2 (sidemount), Ghost and Project.

xsurface.jpg

How do you add weights to the back of a backplate to ensure you do not lean forward when on a vertical position?, ie: when waiting for the boat to pick you up. You advice with picture would be greatly appreciated

You can, but then it becomes non-ditchable, and it won't necessarily make that much difference to your vertical trim. DGX camband pockets will probably take a 5lb brick each and you can fit 2 of them on each camband. XSScuba ones will take more but they're much too bulky for my liking. There's also V-pouches though they sit on "your" side of the plate, not on the "back".

I put the single tank adapter (STA) with a bolt-on weight that gives me 7.55 lbs on the backplate.

I dont have the problem you describe but wanted a more elegant solution to add weight to my backplate, when diving a drysuit, than using zipties. I recently purchased a set of Techline long trim weight pockets. They thread on the pair of cam straps and slide all the way against the backplate and hug the tank.

Inside each pocket are velcro separators to compartmentalize the bags/blocks of weight chosen so that it can be placed higher or lower along the plate as needed. Each pocket can hold 3 x 2kg blocks (just over 13lb each side).

because the straps that the cam straps thread through are sectioned, in addition to moving the weights within them, the pockets themselves can be mounted higher or lower as needed....they come with an adjustable strap to stabilize the pockets along the tank should the they be mounted low on the plate.

I have not had the chance to dive them yet due to covid-19 restrictions, a hand injury that required surgery, and other commitments that have kept me out of the water, but I look forward to seeing how well they actually work out.

trimpockets-long__21534.1592386679.jpg

trimpockets-long-2__44068.1592386680.jpg

-Z

I'd recommend the DTD backplate with trim weight pouches. (of course it would require buying another BP but I find the solution quite elegant)
pictureprovider.aspx?z=900&path=2006%5c2006a7.jpg

pictureprovider.aspx?z=900&path=2006%5c2006a2.jpg

zn8ie0oaqoikxu33ldka5o5x-zi4ffgbndkthhvne7pq5csh7hctc4m3jc5rl-7czd2tho-w1265-h1722-no-jpg.593553.jpg

This is on a smaller freedom Plate, but should be trivial on a wider standard plate with existing edge holes.

For the weighting pouches, I used the inexpensive ones from DGX (thin with velcro closures), mounted on super-stiff webbing, and positioned with slightly oversized tri-glides.

Here I show the webbing with tri-glides mocked-up on the plate for easier viewing:
o3prtajspiu9we28ebitjn88i9lwwcvkd6bysfwtkean-uiuwsu43vsfortabcv6vlrlkyr-w969-h1722-no-jpg.593551.jpg

Pouches mounted on the webbing strips:
tmli2qup0g95fdhhftvdub11fgl2c26zvwwyc1odqztxr9foudfj4glygxvaheklqaqb4as-w969-h1722-no-jpg.593552.jpg

I have a pair of the dgx trim pouches...I am always concerned that the velcro will pop open and the weight will fall out.

-Z

Back
Top Bottom