Should I buy a scuba tank or save up more to buy open water course PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My grandson was certified when he was 12 years old (now 18), and loved it from the first time I signed him up for a discover scuba course in Roatan. He has been my dive buddy on numerous trips the the Caribbean, and he took to scuba and picked up the dive skills in a way that was heartwarming to see. Unfortunately, the Covid problem has put a damper on his/our diving this year. To second what @formernuke said, you are going to outgrow a lot of gear in the next 6-8 years as my grandson is now on his fourth wetsuit and likely a third pair of fins and boots in six years.

My grandson was certified when he was 12 years old (now 18), and loved it from the first time I signed him up for a discover scuba course in Roatan. He has been my dive buddy on numerous trips the the Caribbean, and he took to scuba and picked up the dive skills in a way that was heartwarming to see. Unfortunately, the Covid problem has put a damper on his/our diving this year. To second what @formernuke said, you are going to outgrow a lot of gear in the next 6-8 years as my grandson is now on his fourth wetsuit and likely a third pair of fins and boots in six years.

I expect to actually go in a lower size as I’m 220 and 511 which is in the obease spectrum I’m trying my hardest to lose weight and get down to my goal weight which is 130

But yes I do expect to change out gear over the years

Definitely class first. You hail from Indiana. All you need for the class is your personal gear which is just Mask, Snorkel (if the training shop insists, fins and likely booties). Anything else, Best Buy after the class and under strong consideration of the advise you get here. I read you bought a bunch more already. If you bought it second hand or such, OK, work with it. If you bought it from the shop that advised you and recently so, and it is yet unused, my advise would be to make them take it back for full refund. It is not unheard of at all in the area that shops will loan you all other gear except the afore mentioned personal gear for the duration off the class as part of the class fee. If your shop does not, do some shopping around. You still may decide to use your shop for one reason or another, but if they (that is an if, I did not read every post) advised you to buy regulators before you took the class, I advise to think hard about using them for anything again. My opinion, not a rule or such.

I am neutral about it to be honest. I don’t mind waiting but it’s something I absolutely love doing and it seems to help me emotionally whenever I’m stressed. And I tend to stress eat and gain weight and I’m trying to find ways to overcome it. And honestly a lot of kids nowadays play video games and I like being outside all day, I work on a farm and don’t have time to stay inside all day.
Understandable for sure. I THINK I would have been OK with scuba at age 15 (as opposed to getting certified at 51...). I wasn't in your situation (had other interesting challenges growing up in Yonkers, NY in a "ghetto" Jr. High). From the way you post, you may well be OK at age 14. I guess my experience as a teacher of students your age probably has clouded my vision on the "age" threads. My argument against young certifications is geared more toward kids being certified at 10, 11,12. And there I am still in the huge minority.
BTW, a lot of kids were playing video games in the '80s and '90s.
Good luck with your choices.

Understandable for sure. I THINK I would have been OK with scuba at age 15 (as opposed to getting certified at 51...). I wasn't in your situation (had other interesting challenges growing up in Yonkers, NY in a "ghetto" Jr. High). From the way you post, you may well be OK at age 14. I guess my experience as a teacher of students your age probably has clouded my vision on the "age" threads. My argument against young certifications is geared more toward kids being certified at 10, 11,12. And there I am still in the huge minority.
BTW, a lot of kids were playing video games in the '80s and '90s.
Good luck with your choices.

Yes I do respect your view, However I think I would like to get in shape as well. Diving it self takes a lot of stress off of my shoulders whenever I’m stressed. I am going to take the class, but gear wise I have the basics and Have been diving all summer with rocket fins, and of course rocket fins are harder and are obsolete today, I love them as these are the only fins I have had that are comfortable and ones that don’t tear my feet up. And I by the way I was trying to share my opinion on what a lot of youngins are just spending their time on video games rather playing and working outside. I just love outdoors and can never get enough of it. Thank you for the advice I will try to follow it to the best of my ability.

Definitely class first. You hail from Indiana. All you need for the class is your personal gear which is just Mask, Snorkel (if the training shop insists, fins and likely booties). Anything else, Best Buy after the class and under strong consideration of the advise you get here. I read you bought a bunch more already. If you bought it second hand or such, OK, work with it. If you bought it from the shop that advised you and recently so, and it is yet unused, my advise would be to make them take it back for full refund. It is not unheard of at all in the area that shops will loan you all other gear except the afore mentioned personal gear for the duration off the class as part of the class fee. If your shop does not, do some shopping around. You still may decide to use your shop for one reason or another, but if they (that is an if, I did not read every post) advised you to buy regulators before you took the class, I advise to think hard about using them for anything again. My opinion, not a rule or such.

I always buy used things. I got rocket fins early this summer and it’s been the most comfortable fins I’ve had. But that’s about it

Oh and a vintage diving light that I found and trying to get it working and almost there to getting it working just needs a reed switch

Yes I do respect your view, However I think I would like to get in shape as well. Diving it self takes a lot of stress off of my shoulders whenever I’m stressed. I am going to take the class, but gear wise I have the basics and Have been diving all summer with rocket fins, and of course rocket fins are harder and are obsolete today, I love them as these are the only fins I have had that are comfortable and ones that don’t tear my feet up. And I by the way I was trying to share my opinion on what a lot of youngins are just spending their time on video games rather playing and working outside. I just love outdoors and can never get enough of it. Thank you for the advice I will try to follow it to the best of my ability.
Sounds good. At my age diving I wish I could literally take the stress off my shoulders...and back...!
Diving itself USUALLY is not a way to get in shape. Swimming (boring as it is--both my brothers are competitive swimmers) is way better. The exercise usually with diving is gearing up and entry/exits.
I DON'T plan to climb down rocks at age 66....

@Tyler najib - I think you’re on track with picking a good hobby.

It sounds like you already decided to take your open water course (rather than buy a tank) and I just wanted to add my endorsement to that decision. Tank rental is really routine and almost everyone does it. Owning your own tanks will come later.

The swim lessons and freediving will definitely help get you in shape. SCUBA diving won’t, IMO. There’s not really enough repetitive motion to stimulate cardiorespiratory fitness, muscle tone, weight loss, etc. Sure, there’s kicking but you’re just cruising around to look at fish, not get your heart rate up and start huffing and puffing all the air on your back.

Regarding your weight loss goal of 130lbs....that seems dangerously low and really difficult to achieve for someone 5’11”. Make sure to base your weight loss goal on the advice of a medical professional.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom