Which dry glove system is 'best'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,

Ok so I know that which system is 'best' is very subjective, but I need to replace my wrist seals on my trilam suit and thinking of moving to a dry glove system for the dexterity etc that it offers. I was tempted to get the Northern Diver system (as I have a Northern Diver suit) but I read some fairly poor things about it so decided against that.

Just looking for opinions on which ones to go for?

Thanks,
James

Keep it simple.

OMS Nordic Blue Dry Gloves - Conic Glove System

The Nordic Blue drygloves come with latex seals. After some practice, the first glove can be donned alone, and your dive buddy will help with the second glove by extending the seal sideways (two hands needed) while you use your other hands index finger (third hand) to pull to the side to widen the opening. Then you just put your hand deep into the glove. Too deep is generally a good idea as pulling the glove will typically make it seal well on top of the drysuits latex seal. Once the glove is on, you will push it slightly backwards and it folds over your wrist.

Takes some practice, but comes with the following benefits:

1) you can use drygloves, wetgloves or bare hands (nothing special here)
2) no annoying plastic rings that break during transport
3) no annoying plastic rings that interfere with you goodman handle or computer/gauges
4) no annoying plastic rings that are rigid and make it difficult to put your hand through (latex is flexible)
5) no annoying plastic rings with moving parts, no lubrication of o-rings (talcum powder is required though)
6) once it seals (you can test it on the surface) it does not become undone during the dive, like some ring systems can
7) they feel like clothing

OK, drawbacks
1) you will need a dive buddy
2) you cannot remove the wrist seals and have air move freely
[but compression/equalization are not major problems, air moves a bit, as I dive with these down to 4..6 ATA just fine.]

thinking of moving to a dry glove system for the dexterity etc that it offers

Dexterity.

Dexterity.jpg

I love the G17K (Kubi) gloves for the dexterity. I doubt I will ever wear neoprene gloves again. Dry gloves, Mechanix gloves, or bare hands.

Si Tech rings with pullover gloves is a very simple option that works well and is not bulky.

From my experience:
Diving Concept Dry Glove System
Kubi Dry Glove System
Sant Smart Seals
OS Systems Dry Gloves (Simple)
DUI ZipSeals/ZipGloves

Thanks for all of the thoughts, I think I’m going to go for the Kubi fitted system. Northern Diver can fit it although they said it’s been very difficult when they’ve done it in the past.

I have made a quick k trip to screwfix to make some fitting rings to work out what size I rings need. In the attached photos the ring is about 90mm the gloved hand required a bit of persuading but obviously went through ok, does that sizing seem right?
Yes, as long as you can get your hand through with a liner on it should be fine. I sized mine as 80 mm using the official Kubi sizing cutout (available online, print to scale) and they were a similar fit, hand rubbed slightly but was able to get it on no problem. The actual 80 mm rings on my suit SEEM bigger, I havent measured them, but I wouldnt be surprised if they were ever so slightly bigger than stated to allow for some play.

Has anyone here with a Bare drysuit tried their own Bare dry glove system yet? I have a Bare trilam so interested on feedback for any systems that might work on my drysuit

Could you please post a link or picture of what you are referring to? I was not aware that Bare had their own system. A quick google search pulled up what looks like rebadged Si-Tech products:
Quick cuff platform (QCP) round wrist rings and the Quick Glove dryglove system.

The Quick Glove system is not highly recommended. The Glove Lock dryglove system is compatible with the QCP wrist ring system.

-Z

Keep it simple.

OK, drawbacks
1) you will need a dive buddy
2) you cannot remove the wrist seals and have air move freely
[but compression/equalization are not major problems, air moves a bit, as I dive with these down to 4..6 ATA just fine.]

Replaced ring system with seal on seal gloves rather long ago.
But prefer such drygloves over Nordic Blue
They are twice cheaper and can be patched from inside just with glueless bike patches... Nordic Blue should be replaced in case of pinhole or tear.

Can't understand mentioned by you "drawbacks" - seal on seal system is flawless)))

P.S. mine are red now))

2020-11-22-0-47-46.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom