Should I buy a scuba tank or save up more to buy open water course PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't read all posts but will say--
Take the course first.
Buy equipment during or after the OW course. I personally don't recommend renting everything unless you only dive 1-2 times yearly.
Remember that to rent a tank is usually only a couple of bucks more than a fill (assuming your proximity to a shop).
The advantage of owning your own tank(s) is you don't have to return rented ones like the same or next day.

ScubaBoard folks, hope you realize your providing all kinds of advise to a 14 year old.

No offence Tyler:)

This changes my original advice..... not at all class first, make sure you like it etc.

It would change after cert advice to BPW a lot because a 14 year old male is going to spend the next 4-6 years outgrowing everything every 6 months and it is easier/ cheaper to replace a plate and maybe webbing than an entire bc (plus I'm partial to them.

@Tyler najib definitely do not buy tanks. Depending on your dive conditions you might like steels (a large part why I bought mine, steels are not rented). As you grow the size steel tank that trims best for you will change.

ScubaBoard folks, hope you realize your providing all kinds of advise to a 14 year old.

No offence Tyler:)
Thanks. I didn't check the profile and wrongly assumed when he said starting school he meant college or maybe upper high school. Cancel what I posted. Wait until you're at least 15. 90% or so disagree with me, but that's a different and often discussed topic.

If you do buy a tank, do not use the gear (even in a pool!) until you have done the certification or at least have a highly experienced person to help you learn. But by all means go snorkeling per your other thread. Anyone here have advice about where to snorkel in Indiana?

Agree with much of what has been said. Had you asked the same question about gear (get it now or wait until after the PADI course), you would have received the same response - take the course first. As part of the course they will provide the gear (BC and reg) which would give you the opportunity to try it out first. Getting your own mask and snorkel though is a good idea.

What dive shop are you close to? Might contact a few schools to see if their pool is being used by someone teaching the course - you might find something closer to you.

There is also a dirty little "not so secret" in the diving community that new divers rarely hear during the OW/AOW course and the ensuing gear buying frenzy. The secret is many divers that complete OW often do not continue diving, or dive very infrequently once the course is completed. Some find they do not really enjoy diving that much after the initial excitement and bragging rights of being a diver. Others find they don't have the time or money (it is expensive) to devote to this hobby and keep a good level of proficiency. And at this time in our lives with Covid-19, many find themselves suddenly out of a job, and discretionary income becomes survival income. Finally, the usual suspects here on SB are a phenomenal source of information, but keep in mind they are not representative of the diving community at large who are only able to dive a few days a year, at best. I would give you the advice to hold off buying anything other than mask, maybe fins, and snorkel until you finish the OW course, dive enough to know you love it, have time for it, can afford it, and have given serious thought as what your diving goals are going to be a couple years down the road. There is a lot of dive gear bought by newly minted divers that sitting unused in closets around the world. Don't be that person. Hopefully, you will love diving and be a continuing, contributing member of this board. Good luck and safe diving.

This changes my original advice..... not at all class first, make sure you like it etc.

It would change after cert advice to BPW a lot because a 14 year old male is going to spend the next 4-6 years outgrowing everything every 6 months and it is easier/ cheaper to replace a plate and maybe webbing than an entire bc (plus I'm partial to them.

@Tyler najib definitely do not buy tanks. Depending on your dive conditions you might like steels (a large part why I bought mine, steels are not rented). As you grow the size steel tank that trims best for you will change.

I am trying to stay away from steel tanks becuase of corrosion on the inside of water gets in.

There is also a dirty little "not so secret" in the diving community that new divers rarely hear during the OW/AOW course and the ensuing gear buying frenzy. The secret is many divers that complete OW often do not continue diving, or dive very infrequently once the course is completed. Some find they do not really enjoy diving that much after the initial excitement and bragging rights of being a diver. Others find they don't have the time or money (it is expensive) to devote to this hobby and keep a good level of proficiency. And at this time in our lives with Covid-19, many find themselves suddenly out of a job, and discretionary income becomes survival income. Finally, the usual suspects here on SB are a phenomenal source of information, but keep in mind they are not representative of the diving community at large who are only able to dive a few days a year, at best. I would give you the advice to hold off buying anything other than mask, maybe fins, and snorkel until you finish the OW course, dive enough to know you love it, have time for it, can afford it, and have given serious thought as what your diving goals are going to be a couple years down the road. There is a lot of dive gear bought by newly minted divers that sitting unused in closets around the world. Don't be that person. Hopefully, you will love diving and be continuing, contributing member of this board. Good luck and safe diving.

I am buying used gear because i would hate to have New gear and not like it, so down the line I may switch out a regulator or so, but I swim in my pool 2-4 times a day and I’m obsessed with the water and have been scuba diving two times in my life and was obsessed. I’m still obsessed with it.

Thanks. I didn't check the profile and wrongly assumed when he said starting school he meant college or maybe upper high school. Cancel what I posted. Wait until you're at least 15. 90% or so disagree with me, but that's a different and often discussed topic.

I am neutral about it to be honest. I don’t mind waiting but it’s something I absolutely love doing and it seems to help me emotionally whenever I’m stressed. And I tend to stress eat and gain weight and I’m trying to find ways to overcome it. And honestly a lot of kids nowadays play video games and I like being outside all day, I work on a farm and don’t have time to stay inside all day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom