TSA Courtesy Notice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone got a notice to TSA that they are particularly proud of?
I'm looking to tape something inside my Pelican case, so TSA doesn't kill my new JJ CCR (even tho I'll be carrying the head separately). Actually, the same thing really applies to my carryon when it goes thru x- ray and they want to open it up.
That may be a pipe dream. I'm not sure TSA workers can read.

Dang, when was that discussion??? There was a really well done letter (with some really good hidden sarcasm in it)...

they hand inspected my AMP meter in LAX. They didn't know what it was until I told them it was a sexual aid. they stopped bare hand touching it after that and ushered me along without further inspection.
Funniest thing I've read all day. May have to use that one.

I'm not sure if it was TSA, the shipping company, or some other Men in Black. But I once had a piece of equipment shipped that arrived damaged, apparently by a clueless inspection. Security bands on a pelican case busted, oil-filled housing improperly pried open, mineral oil spilled everywhere. I get how oil-compensated electronics housings probably look terrifying on an x-ray, but this was pretty clearly a non-threatening piece of oceanographic gear. And even if it wasn't, for god sake don't go disassembling unknown high-tech spooky looking pressure housings without knowing what they are!

Back to the original subject:
On planes I've always kept heavy/valuable/unusual/electronic items as carry-ons and never had a problem explaining them.

I have left notes in with equipment before, or at least a big label like "harmless underwater photography equipment - no lithium batteries - call (cell number) with questions" but I don't think they ever pay attention to anything like that. Nobody has ever called. Something like "underwater critical life support equipment - do not tamper" might help, maybe. The idea of including pictures and a manual or product brochure isn't bad. But again they probably don't care to look at any of that.

I went through Singapore, Bali, Jakarta, Hawaii and Seattle earlier this year with a head in my backpack and the rest in an ordinary suitcase, without a single agent or inspector batting an eye or even wanting to take a look. Weird, I know. Did I "White Privilege?" Or did they all already know about COVID, and yeah nah not touching that mate

The only place in the world where I've had to hand-sew luggage back together was in HNL. It's like a sport there

Has anyone got a notice to TSA that they are particularly proud of?
I'm looking to tape something inside my Pelican case, so TSA doesn't kill my new JJ toy (even tho I'll be carrying the head separately). Actually, the same thing really applies to my carryon when it goes thru x- ray and they want to open it up.

Thanks!
What is a jj toy?

I went through Singapore, Bali, Jakarta, Hawaii and Seattle earlier this year with a head in my backpack and the rest in an ordinary suitcase, without a single agent or inspector batting an eye or even wanting to take a look. Weird, I know.

The screening is frighteningly random. I frequently travel with an electronic system that is designed to inflate a balloon at defined intervals (discussion for another day). It's got wires, circuit boards, electronic inputs, and pistons sticking out all over it. On some days TSA never bats and eye and passes it through. On other days, they pull me aside and give me the third degree.

So back to the OP, I think a picture and the instruction manual on top would be most helpful.

I put my 1962 twin 38 tanks in an extra large Pelican Case (valve/manifold removed) last time I flew from California to Florida to participate in the Sea Hunt Forever Show. I put a large sticker on the outside of the case and on the inside that identified exactly what it was: "TSA: Contains vintage air cylinders." I also printed my cell phone number and email on the stickers so (since it was checked baggage) so they could contact me immediately if there were any questions. No problems whatsoever; however a TSA agent did scrawl on the inside note: "Cool tanks - go Mike Nelson!" :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom