I’m overweight and wanting to get into freediving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In a separate thread he is looking to join the pool where splashing can get you shot. However, my reply was on why that stroke is used. Most any stroke would work for getting in shape.

Find a USMS team near you and join. Then get serious about fitness and exercise. Great thing about USMS teams is that "Masters" range from very slow swimmers to former D1 and Olympian swimmers.

For example, my local team has 3 groups during the workout. Group 3 swims less distance on a slower time vs the other 2 groups. It is not uncommon for me to have people on one side of me in a lane that are just learning to swim and the other side a bronze medal winning Olympic swimmer. All are welcome, no ones judged.

https://www.usms.org/?gclid=CjwKCAj...rTAfyg0KI5b9DT7Gd395Uw9EKBkh-sNRoC0bwQAvD_BwE

so there is one in my area once I get the YMCA pass I will for sure look into this

Typically USMS is for 18 and over swimmers...the OP is only 14....he would benefit greatly from an age group or high school team. Will a USMS team take a 14 year old?

-Z

Typically USMS is for 18nand over swimmers...the OP is only 14....he would benefit greatly from an age group or high school team Will a USMS team take a 14 year old?

-Z

@Tyler najib - @Zef is right - US Masters Swimming is for us old folks. Just get to the YMCA and get your swim lessons underway. The aquatics staff there will be able to point out opportunities to expand your swimming activities so you’re not trying to work out on your own all the time.

@Tyler najib - @Zef is right - US Masters Swimming is for us old folks. Just get to the YMCA and get your swim lessons underway. The aquatics staff there will be able to point out opportunities to expand your swimming activities so you’re not trying to work out on your own all the time.

Alrighty thanks. Il get after it

Typically USMS is for 18 and over swimmers...the OP is only 14....he would benefit greatly from an age group or high school team. Will a USMS team take a 14 year old?

-Z

I didnt know the OP was only 14, sorry. USMS is only for 18 and up, wont take anyone younger. Fully agree, join a local club team, great place to learn, better your swimming and meet friends. My daughter swam for a club team from the age of 6 until HS.

I didnt know the OP was only 14, sorry. USMS is only for 18 and up, wont take anyone younger. Fully agree, join a local club team, great place to learn, better your swimming and meet friends. My daughter swam for a club team from the age of 6 until HS.

There are a number of things about the OP that have evolved since he joined SB. I think some of those things are directly related to the OP's actual age...but based on the agregate of things such as profile info and statements made in other posts it is not too difficult to understand why SB members responding might have thought they were reading and responding to someone at least slightly further along in life.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom