Regulator Failed at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba2you

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
This is a personal Incident that happened to me two years ago, I wasn't an active board member at the time so here's my belated summary. Old lesson learned even after 30 years diving......

This incident took place on a live aboard in Raja Ampat. My regs were completely overhauled 90 days prior to the incident.

The first indication of the problem occurred during the initial decent as I noticed the regulator became slightly more restrictive trying to breathe, then seemed to clear and I continued the decent, adjusting the knob on the regulator. I also noticed bits of debris in my mouth at different times but assumed this was from my custom bite piece since I tend to grind or bite hard on the mouthpiece.

At approximately 25 meters the regulator suddenly began free flowing as I took in a breath, I was unable to breathe (outside of pulling in air off the bubbles) or stop it in any way, I switched to my backup which allowed for normal breathing. I tried for approximately 2 minutes to get the regulator to stop the free flow to no avail. At about this time I was joined by the dive master of the boat who noticed the problem and came over to assist. We both worked on it another minute, then it suddenly stopped with about 1200 psi remaining in the tank. I switched back to the primary and noticed it was very difficult to breathe and would free flow with just a moderate pull of air on the regulator. We aborted the dive together and finished the dive without further incident.

On the boat we felt the problem was in the primary regulator so we attempted to switch the two regulators. However when we detached the primary from the hose we noticed bits of crystallized rubber in the inlet orifice of the regulator. Initially we thought this might be some seal failure but research led us to a Dan article indicating likely hose failure.

When I returned home, I noted the rubber swivel hose was seven years old and likely the issue as it was the hose connected to the problem regulator. I cut the hose and examined the inside, it was in excellent condition visually, with no signs of any deterioration. Next, I decided to look at the secondary braided non OEM hose using a process recommended by DAN.

Physically examine hoses by squeezing them every inch or so to assess whether they exhibit the same degree of flexibility. Any change in resistance while squeezing along the length of the hose would be a sign of a possible problem. This test is much easier to perform with braided hoses than with harder, outer rubberized hoses.

The secondary braided yellow hose dated 2008 seemed to pass this test, and the regulator had no problem when used as a backup so I thought this was not the problem either.

Just to be thorough, I did the same with the low pressure inflator hose and immediately felt the soft areas of the hose, internally the hose lining was just a bunch of hardened crystals, this hose did not have a date code and had completely failed, small bits of material were coming from the inflator hose, passing through the first stage and blocking the second stage. Based on this it was only a matter of luck that I did not lose both the primary and the secondary on the dive resulting in a complete loss of air.

My braided aftermarket inflator hose was from a well known supplier, there is no desire to bash anyone here, I should be checking my hoses and replacing them on a scheduled basis. Also, based on an examination of all my hoses which were cut open vertically and studied, its my opinion (I'm an electrical engineer not a materials science engineer) that high quality reinforced rubber hoses are more durable than braided hoses over time.

Check those Inflator hoses, a failure there could be more dangerous than you think.

Btw, I never fully had it explained to me how debris from an inflator hose could pass up through the first stage and into my regulator, any techs or manufactures that can help me understand this?

Lp Area is a common area for most first stages, all lp hoses screw into a common part, so let’s say your inflator hose is or has failed, you don’t know it but you roll your hoses (or not) to pack, some of the crystallized material falls back into the common area and now you hook it to a tank and proceed to pass the little bits to the second stage.

the current recommendation I believe from all braided hose dealers is that they should be replaced every 5 years.

The Miflex brand had some well documented issues about 5 or 7 years ago with Crystal's plugging hoses and causing issues. My understanding is they've since fixed that issue.

After a dive, when you depressurize your hoses is when debris in one hose can be pushed into another hose.

For example:

After the dive, you shut off the tank and press your purge on your primary. All your other hoses are at 130-140 psi and as the pressure decreases, air from those hoses travels through the first stage and then out the hose that is being purged. Any debris in those hoses is also blown through the first stage and then into the hose being purged. There is no filter to block the path of the debris and the only thing stopping it from coming out of the purged second stage is the clearance of the opening of the second stage. Small bits may be blown out. Some may come to rest inside the primary regulator hose. The next time you use the regulator, larger bits get stuck in the second stage orifice and prevent the valve from closing causing a free flow.

Thank you all for the explanations, this all makes good sense to me. I'll now be spending more time getting active on these boards, it doesn't matter how long or how many dives you have, there's always experience waiting to be accumulated.
A real eye-opener thanks for sharing.

scuba2you, by any chance did you take any photos of the crystals or the interior of the bad hose that you can share?

Yes I did, I’ve never uploaded a photo before but let me see if I can make it work.

That wasn’t hard....Upload file heh :yeahbaby:
7132FCD3-5DEE-4324-AA2E-A9D89EED7769.jpeg

Attachments

• F9334604-DFE2-4865-837C-3805F57FF039.jpeg
    F9334604-DFE2-4865-837C-3805F57FF039.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 300
  • 7272EA36-E9AB-4CCE-8032-DFD07383D7CD.jpeg
    7272EA36-E9AB-4CCE-8032-DFD07383D7CD.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 311
  • A9D3D9FA-995C-44A4-947E-5A8401D1A285.jpeg
    A9D3D9FA-995C-44A4-947E-5A8401D1A285.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 298