Shearwater Peregrine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got certified and exploring my gear purchase options... I really like the computer... but like the idea of AI as well... to buy this or splurge for the Perdix AI + Transmitter... I like the idea of at least keeping track of air usage of dives... can you log start/end pressure on the Peregrine without having full AI?

Just got certified and exploring my gear purchase options... I really like the computer... but like the idea of AI as well... to buy this or splurge for the Perdix AI + Transmitter... I like the idea of at least keeping track of air usage of dives... can you log start/end pressure on the Peregrine without having full AI?
You would need to do it manually in your dive logging software, but no way to do it on the Pfalcon (which is what I am calling this computer now)
If you really believe you will need AI, then buying a Perdix now, then adding transmitters later as you need them, would be your best bet. Unless you foresee trimix/CCR in your near-ish future, I don't know that the AI is worth the price difference on the Pfalcon.

The old fashion way. Get a wrist slate. Write numbers and notes on it. Write down the start time and pressure, the end time and pressure. Get home and download the data. Use the time marks to select the window of data you want to review. Subtract the two pressures, that is how much air used over the data window. You just saved about $1000

The old fashion way. Get a wrist slate. Write numbers and notes on it. Write down the start time and pressure, the end time and pressure. Get home and download the data. Use the time marks to select the window of data you want to review. Subtract the two pressures, that is how much air used over the data window. You just saved about $1000
That's a good approach. Could also likely get by then with a $200 computer instead of a $450 computer... but the Shearwaters are nice.

Yeah, this is truly a dilemma for a new diver. I would expect that an AI version would be coming in the not too distant future, though I don't think SW would confirm or deny the existence of AI plans right now.

Like RainPilot said, you can't input starting and ending pressure in the computer itself. You could, however, input starting and ending pressure pretty close to real-time using a smartphone. I use both Shearwater's App and Subsurface. I just checked, and didn't see the Peregrine listed in the dropdown on the Subsurface App, but I would imagine that's coming soon. Shearwater Cloud does have a field for start and end pressure, so that would work.

Personally, I've never owned a non-AI computer, so that would be a huge consideration for me. I like having all my information in one place. Started with a console AI computer, but have since switched to hoseless and currently using a Perdix AI.

I guess if I was in your shoes, I would look closely at both the Perdix AI and the Peregrine. A Perdix AI with the tank pod would be considerably more expensive than the Peregrine. Even without the tank pod, the Perdix would still be quite a bit more. If the price is not a factor, then you really can't go wrong with the Perdix AI. If price is a strong consideration, the Peregrine is a solid choice and priced competitively. Worst case, if SW releases a Peregrine AI in the near future, you could probably sell the Peregrine and still come out less than a Perdix AI, but much of that will depend on the interest in the Peregrine. SW has a huge following in the tech sector, but this is really their first computer aimed at the recreational diver, so not sure how that will translate in the used market.

There is an axiom known as "Occam's Razor" which is often cited as:
“The simplest solution is almost always the best.”

With that in mind, you could look at one of these:
Genesis-PG2226.jpg

and then use one of these
61lQditrvFL._SL1500_.jpg

to write what you see onto one of these
il_794xN.1631603843_hdao.jpg

at the beginning and end of the dive.

one could even get creative and record pressures at time intervals or segments of the dive (maybe associated with depth ranges) on a slate to begin to really dial in an understanding

You could look at one of these:
View attachment 602735
and then use one of these
View attachment 602736

to write what you see onto one of these
View attachment 602737

at the beginning and end of the dive.
Ughhhh... that's not so convenient when the pen runs out of ink and you have to lug the physical log or log pages around (and risk loosing or drenching). It's so much easier to Bluetooth all that stuff right to my iPhone immediately post dive. I can easily have a backup on the cloud as well. To each their own, but in in 2020 there are great electronic options (albeit at a cost)...:)

Ughhhh... that's not so convenient when the pen runs out of ink and you have to lug the physical log or log pages around (and risk loosing or drenching). It's so much easier to Bluetooth all that stuff right to my iPhone immediately post dive. I can easily have a backup on the cloud as well. To each their own, but in in 2020 there great electronic options options (albeit at a cost)...:)
I agree... I wish there were some dive logs that were as good... I kept having bug issues with Subsurface... I think the best I found so far is MacDive... (I normally use a PC, but have access to MacOS and use an iPhone).

Does anyone actually have a Peregrine, yet?
I'm reasonably confident that we should be able to download from it.
If you do, could you contact me at Dirk at
Subsurface-divelog.
Dot org?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom