BlackTip Storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fireman1396

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I have seen several photos of people who have been able to disassemble and store their BlackTip in pelican cases and the like, but these have all been the travel model. Obviously not for travel purposes but has anyone seen or figured out any cases that can fit the disassembled tech model for storage purposes?

So I have seen several photos of people who have been able to disassemble and store their BlackTip in pelican cases and the like, but these have all been the travel model. Obviously not for travel purposes but has anyone seen or figured out any cases that can fit the disassembled tech model for storage purposes?
Probably best to ask what size Pelican case people are using.

He included in his post that he is looking for the Tech model, which is the middle size.

You only care about storage, not travel, correct? The black and yellow totes sold at places like Home Depot come in a few sizes, just measure the width of the prop guard. The 55 gallon one looks plenty long. 27 gallon might be long enough if you separate the tail from the body.

The Rubbermaid Action Packers come in a variety of sizes and are good for storage too.

If it's not going in a plane and doesn't need to be waterproof, those would probably be my first two choices. If you want something that rolls, the jobsite boxes with a handle and two wheels, I recall lots of people on the west coast using those, as they could fit their gear inside, strap a tank on the top.

The Blacktip is supposed to be easy and light enough to carry around so you are diving with it more often. Ideally, the word "storage" is a four letter word. :)

I do agree storage is a bad word. I more meant for transport, I move my gear pretty regularly between my converted cargo trailer/camper, and my vehicle/other peoples vehicles. I did think of the yellow and black storage totes, I’m just a SUCKER for a pelican case. Just something about shape cut foam in a hard case. :p I would obviously measure it myself and just find a case but I am on deployment in another state for COVID response and am waiting for my order to arrive (on backorder). Your input is MUCH appreciated. :clapping:

If you need a long term storage solution, PM me. You can send the scooter to me, and I will make sure it is stored properly. No, there is no charge, I do not charge for this service, it is more of me being able to give back to the community.

The Dive Xtras spec sheet shows the travel body (fuselage only) is 320mm (12.6”) long and the tech body (fuselage only) is 445mm (17.5”) long.

The shipping case (doubling as a storage case) I bought is the Nanuk 960 with Imperial inside dimensions of 22 × 17 × 12.9” (L x W x H). The travel model fits quite neatly and I’m betting the tech body will easily fit into the inside length of Nanuk 960 but I’m not yet sure about the prop and shroud fitting in there also. I’ll know on or about 17 August when (I think) I’ll get my hands on a tech model.

If what you’re after is a big box to throw the tech model in with minimal to no disassembly, I’d look to the home improvement warehouses (Lowes or Home Depot). I linked a proposal or two in one of the BlackTip threads here on SB. A Nanuk / Pelican / Hardigg style case would be, IMO, excessively costly and beyond reasonable dimensions for easy travel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom