I finally bought a house in Cave Country! W00T!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, it has locks. It can be free both ways, only in, only out and no way, Jose!

Sounds like the one I ordered from Amazon yesterday. Since Kater is chipped it should work properly. I'll know in a couple of weeks after it gets here and I have installed it through a 5" thick wall. My house is coming along, the furniture is finally all glued together and looking good. still have to cut, sand, oil and mount a few hardwood shelves, and hang up around 50 trophys.

Today I'll get started installing my livingroom sound system running all the wiring for a 7.1 system through conduit. That should be fun since each of the CEN, LS, LR, RR, and RS locations will have 4 small bookshelf speakers mounted. LF and RF speakers are older Klipsch Heresys which sound good without being doubled or quadded.

The beginning of next week I'll check all my sensors in a pressure pot, analyse all my tanks and check my rebreathers. Hopefully I can then talk Pete into giving me a "Discover Local Diving" refresher course in one of the local sites since the last time I was diving was the beginning of March before I started packing for the move to Lake City.

Michael

7.1 with wiring just seems so 1990s. I’ve become a Sonos fan. When I built my last home, I ran over 5,000 ft of Cat5+ which became almost totally redundant within a month of me moving in. Now a days Alexa runs most of my house including Sonos.

7.1 with wiring just seems so 1990s. I’ve become a Sonos fan. When I built my last home, I ran over 5,000 ft of Cat5+ which became almost totally redundant within a month of me moving in. Now a days Alexa runs most of my house including Sonos.

I still prefer wired for fixed devices. And when I build my next house I will be running cat6 to select areas (entertainment center, server room, etc).

I was wondering what was flying towards me and then it hit me.

Ouch.

Took an object to my face just below my glasses and that's keeping me out of the water for a bit. I went to the doc and was referred to an ophthalmologist. I'm sure he'll pass me on down the line until it stops hurting. Le sigh. Eye i weeping, so I'm not going to chance it.

In other news, my counter top microwave died. Meh. I was tired of it, so I bought an over the range model. I have to cut away part of the cabinet over the stove, but I'm game.

upload_2020-8-13_19-38-58.png

Empty the cabinets all over the sink.

upload_2020-8-13_19-39-45.png

Cover the glass stove top, remove the hood that never worked. Measure twice (thrice?) and start cutting.​

I decided to get a Ryobi Oscillating Multi Tool. I never had the need for one, but this seemed to be what I needed to cut the second shelf out. WOW! I love this thing. It cuts straight, fast enough and in tight quarters.

71WdVQYUlDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I got it all out, attaching the blade and battery, stepped under the the cavity only to have a critter come at me through the hole to the attic. HOLYCRAPBATMAN!!!

upload_2020-8-13_19-48-28.png

With a plaintive mew, I realized it was Ma~. Damn! I nearly pooped in my pants. She likes playing up in the cabinets. I don't have to worry about it now that the shelf just under it has been removed. Look how smug she is for freaking me out...

upload_2020-8-13_19-52-34-png.604557.png

upload_2020-8-13_19-52-2.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-8-13_19-52-34.png
    upload_2020-8-13_19-52-34.png
    521.1 KB · Views: 51
With the right blade that tool is supposed to be the catsass for putting in retrofit low voltage boxes and will even take off your cast next time you have a misadventure.

Still moving slowly with this eye issue. I took a 2x12, cut it to hang 1" on either side. Then I planed it to the exact thickness of the fascia. Three bolts will pass through that support to hold the microwave in place. Then, I used a bit of wood left over from a project by @michael-fisch to create the support blocks for the top shelf/support. The only issue I had was that the space between the fascia and the wall was 11 5/8", which means that the 2x6 was an 1/8" shy in it's width. In addition, the stud is right in the center where I had to cut out a hole for the ducting. To resolve this, I cut a 1 x1/8" steel bar and fit it along the back. I drilled two holes in the steel to tie into that stud. It's all fitting well, and I just plodded along.Glad it's done.

upload_2020-8-14_11-39-4.png

upload_2020-8-14_17-25-11.png

upload_2020-8-14_17-23-28.png

Are you planning a venting hood somewhere else in kitchen?
I would love one that could keep the rest of my house smelling like bacon every morning.

@Bubblesong There is a fan powered vent by the door above the dryer. The venting hood that was above the range had not worked since I had lived here. It will be nice to finally have one above the range that does. I'm not sure what to think, but I heated up some rice last night and was quite surprised by the quality. It made the rice all fluffy again which is not what the old microwave did. This might be a fluke, so I'll see how other foods heat up.

I hadn't slept well the night before last and had been up since 2:30. I was having stamina issues during the day, having to take a lot of breaks. I had to force myself to cut the doors and finish it all up, but I'm so glad I did. It looks good even on the day after. I'm also happy with this basic unit. A few people were trying to get me to spend a lot of money so that I could have a multi-function stove. They were three to four times the cost of this one. While I'm doing more cooking around here, I really don't want to do more gadgeting, to coin a word. The microwave has proven itself over time, going from a neat convenience to a very useful tool. I actually prefer my bacon from the microwave and I love to steam corn in there as well. At just over $200, the GE was a proven model that will perform well for years to come. While I lost some cabinet space, I gained a counter. I do believe it's time for me to reformulate how this kitchen flows and finally build the cabinets for the other side. They've been needing attention ever since I plopped that oversize sink in there. There's just too much wasted space.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom