BP/wings comfortable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The LDS owner's comment about sleeping on a steel pillow only makes sense when you are surface swimming on your back.

I recently switched to a BP/W because my BCD fell apart after 15 years of loyal service (see link to thread).
Maybe plastic isnt a good material for BC construction

Ive only got 2 dives on the BP/W. I cant say that the hike to the beach was any less comfortable. You are carrying 50+ lbs of gear -- its always fatiguing. Now, Im wearing 8mm of suit, so more padding than you in Florida. But I dont think I need the padding, and especially not on my back. When you are walking, most of the weight is on your shoulders, not really on your back. If you wanted to, you could add neoprene sleeves on the straps. The reason I chose a BP/W was to eliminate buoyancy -- maybe not as much of a concern for you.

I did have a long surface swim on my back, and I must say, I was more aware of the BP beneath me. It wasn't uncomfortable, just different. When I swam on my back with my old back-inflate BC, I was more angled in the water, with my legs deeper in the water. Whereas w/ the BP/W, it had me in a more horizontal posture on top of the water. I just had to adjust my swimming style. Or maybe I shouldn't have the wing fully inflated, so the lower section of my back can sink into the water. In any case, no biggie.

If you don't surface swim on your back much, this may not even be an issue for you.

If I was going to do a long walk while wearing a tank, I would definitely prefer a BC with nice padded shoulders and a comfortable waist strap. No way I would want a metal plate on my back and zero padding around my waist.
I've found the opposite to be true. A BC will allow the tank to swing and also to hang low. A properly fitting backplate will hold the tank stable and against your back. I used to make beach dives in a backplate and double 120s as well as a single 130. I will never wear a jacket BC again.

I've found the opposite to be true. A BC will allow the tank to swing and also to hang low. A properly fitting backplate will hold the tank stable and against your back. I used to make beach dives in a backplate and double 120s as well as a single 130. I will never wear a jacket BC again.

I agree that proper tank placement and stability is really important.

To the OP, whatever BC you choose, make sure it holds the tank properly. Most BCs will hold a tank, but I personally prefer 2 tank straps to hold the tank tight.

One of the reasons I went w/ a BP/W is because I could not find a cheap BC w/ 2 tank straps. I am a cheap person and generally I will choose the cheapest option.

My old BC had 2 tank straps and it held the tank very stable. However (after 15 years of loyal service), the top tank strap broke during a surf exit (see link in my post above if you want details) and I had to walk out with my tank flopping around on the bottom strap. Carrying the tank like that messed up my back & shoulders for a couple of days.

I tend to see folks w/ one tank strap with their tank not very well secured. Now, this is also a usage problem -- I think you could properly secure your tank w/ one strap. However, 2 straps IMO is optimal.

my challenge was finding a BC that fit me. If it fit my shoulders, I supposedly had a 50" waist. Also, the torso length was too short for my frame so the waist band was a rib band. It flopped around, and just wasn't secure on me (nothing to do with tank straps).

Now, if one was to consider doubles.....

A BP/W let me fit it to me....

Thanks to @tbone1004 for the tag.

@Scuba1821 If you happen to make your way a little further south, we would be happy to help you get fitted in a proper BP/W setup. You are welcome to come do a demo dive in a BP/W before you commit to buying one.

Let me know if I can help any further.

I have been researching and saving for 2 years to buy a BP/wings setup.
Went to my LDS this AM to buy one and the owner talked me out of it. Said they were uncomfortable. his comment was 'look at it. It would be like sleeping on a steel pillow'.
Should I be worried about this? I usually dive with a 3 or 5 ML wetsuit so I would have some padding but I also often do beach dives that require a long walk prior to entering the water. Any help would be appreciated.

The Xdeep Ghost I dive is easily the most comfortable BCD I have ever dived. It's like I have on nothing.
I am sure this is typical of all BP/W.

Thanks to @tbone1004 for the tag.

@Scuba1821 If you happen to make your way a little further south, we would be happy to help you get fitted in a proper BP/W setup. You are welcome to come do a demo dive in a BP/W before you commit to buying one.

Let me know if I can help any further.
Awesome! I will do that. I do the beach dive off Datura Ave frequently. I will contact you prior to the next one. Thanks!

Good move. Don’t hesitate to share the conclusions!!!

Buy a Scubapro, you won't have to worry about this issue. Their BC's are as solid and high quality as can be for sure. I have owned SP BC's for years and years without any issues at all. The only BC's that had issues in my dive school's equipment fleet were other brands not SP's.
So when a tank or something else heavy falls and lands on your buckle while on a live aboard in the middle of nowhere, what then?

These threads are just like the threads in bicycle forums about leather saddles. Someone will suggest a leather saddle to someone and the rest of the posts are something like "there is no way a hard piece of leather will be comfortable. What people don't realize is that the padding in a bicycle saddle is actually what causes most pain. What happens is your sit bones sink down through all that gel, foam, whatever, and sit on the hard plastic under all that fluff. Now all that displaced gel, foam, whatever, is pushed up into the soft tender parts in your groin area and cause pain. A leather saddle will actually form itself to your specific shape and move with your body while riding. Riders will spends hundreds of dollars on big fancy padded saddles trying to find one that is comfortable without realizing that the padding they are purchasing is what is causing the pain. A metal backplate and two inch webbing may not look comfortable but looks can be very deceiving. I've been diving a backplate for over ten years now and would not go back to a jacket style if you gave me one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom