Shearwater Peregrine - First Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divin'Papaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Today I got in my first dive with my new Peregrine. For me it will be a backup to my Perdix AI. I wore it on my wrist right next to my Perdix.

I dive the Perdix in Rec mode and setup the Peregrine in single Nitrox mix mode. I chose to display different settings on the configurable home screen than I display with my Perdix. I might as well get a benefit from wearing two computers! On the Perdix I show pressure/GTR/SAC and SurfGF. I set the Peregrine to show Max/Avg Depth and Temp/Time.

First dive went very well. The screen is essentially the same between the two computers as Shearwater advertises. Same size, clarity, brightness. The Peregrine does come with a separate screen protector that must be installed upon arrival. That was a pretty uneventful process. I'm not sure why they went that route vs a factory installed screen protector like the Perdix. (EDIT: It does have a screen protector installed at the factory. This is a replacement/backup. Save it for future use.)

The Peregrine perfectly mirrored the Perdix. Same depth, time, temp at all times. Now I was doing a dive at Blue Heron Bridge so I didn't really test the deco algorithm and safety stop features. For those that know BHB it is really one LONG safety stop! I'm doing Goliath Grouper Aggregation dives on 8/15 and 8/22 so that will be a good test to see how well it mirrors the Perdix. I have both running the exact same custom GF settings.

It is a smaller, slimmer form factor for sure. Not Teric small but a noticeable 25% or so smaller it seemed vs the Perdix. The buttons are actual buttons and not the touch sensitive buttons on the Perdix. They require a bit more firm of a press and provide the tactile response of an actual button. I don't really care either way. Both kinds of button work just fine for me.

I was able to connect to it via bluetooth from my Windows 10 laptop and iPhone SE without issue. Also the charging pad works fine without issues.

So far I'm impressed. It is a very solid computer at a great price. I'll add more to this thread after my next 4 "real" open ocean dives with the Peregrine later in August.

951E8F1D-E302-4FA2-9B08-FD10CBBEA7DC.jpeg
585C5EBD-831E-43BB-BC15-96A906C3463C.jpeg

I see one on my daughter's wrist in the near future. Nice upgrade from her Mares Puck or the Oceanic Veo180nx she currently uses.

Now, if I could only get the wife to abandon a console (Cochran EMC20). Then again it means buying 2.

Perhaps Christmas if we are diving again...

The Peregrine does come with a separate screen protector that must be installed upon arrival. That was a pretty uneventful process. I'm not sure why they went that route vs a factory installed screen protector like the Perdix..

The Peregrine I just received yesterday came with an installed screen-protector, plus, a spare replacement screen-protector. Dove it today and love it (compared to the Suunto Gecko back up to Perdix).

The Peregrine I just received yesterday came with an installed screen-protector, plus, a spare replacement screen-protector.

Interesting. Mine definitely seemed to indicate the screen protector needed to be installed. Said nothing about it being a spare. I'll have to look at it closely. My screen protector may now have a screen protector. :rofl3:

Interesting. Mine definitely seemed to indicate the screen protector needed to be installed. Said nothing about it being a spare. I'll have to look at it closely. My screen protector may now have a screen protector. :rofl3:

Yup, my screen protector now has a screen protector! LOL

If I scratch the screen now it’s really my fault!!!

Thanks for the correction @divad! Clearly I missed the note where it said that was a 2nd replacement screen protector. Must read more carefully.

It looks just fine with both on so I’m just gonna leave it.

I thought redundanticity was a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom