Ear Pain Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Txcoast17

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I am starting a new job in which I must take a water survival course. I love the water, but have always had ear issues growing up (tubes when I was young) and could never really dive down deeper than a few feet before the ear pressure was just too high. The course that I will be taking is in a pool only 10ft deep, which I know is an absolute joke to most, but to me might as well be 100ft to me, and I must go down to the bottom a handful of times during the course, which has me worried.

I've tried many of the equalization techniques, but still have have a ton of pressure in my right ear especially every time I try to practice to get my ears used to going to the bottom of the pool. I've practiced in a pool where I've gone down feet first, and now twice in the past year I have gotten some barotrauma and felt a pop, fizz, and water fill up my right ear when I tried to clear. Both times included a bit of vertigo as well.

After a trip to the ENT after the first time that happened in around 7ft (around a year ago), he brushed it off, said I had nothing to worry about in a 10ft pool as far as rupturing an eardrum, and simply told me to take sudafed beforehand next time. This time I was at around 4ft while trying to clear when it happened again. I put a mix of alcohol and vinegar in my ear last night, but today (the day after) I still feel some discomfort and blockage.

I've read countless threads about descending slowly and equalizing every few feet, but this will be a course in which I must go head first to the bottom a few different times. I've read about Pro Plugs, Clear Ease, and then of course taking sudafed and afrin beforehand as well, but does anyone have any other suggestions for a guy with crappy ears to be able to get to the bottom of a pool while not truly being able to equalize super effectively?

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble. You mentioned you've tried many of the equalization techniques, but it might be helpful if you go into more detail there so people can advise you if you've overlooked something. For example, have you tried pre-pressurizing your ears with a Valsalva before you descend?

Thank you- I should clarify that I do use the Valsalva technique pretty often when I fly and just to clear my ears in general. I can also clear my ears by stretching my jaw out as well. Swallowing and plugging my nose has never worked for me however.

When I fly, I very rarely have any issue clearing the pressure when descending, but I just don't know why it's so different under water.

As for the plugs- I know that it definitely does not help to have those in, but not sure about ones like the Doc's Pro Plugs with the valve.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I had a LOT of ear issues in the pool during a discover dive session. I also had ear issues, though to a lesser degree, during the pool sessions for my OW course.

In my case...I believe it was related to the frequent pressure changes during training related pool sessions. Ex. The discover dive session...we submerged and surfaced AT LEAST a dozen times.

I’m not saying that it’ll definitely be the same experience for you, but I think you’ll find that you’ll have less issues when you get through training, you take your time descending, and you stay down...rather than confusing your ears (changing pressure) by frequently submerging and surfacing.

It’s not a depth related thing either. My ears are happier during and after a 90-100’ dive than they are a 10’ pool dive session (surfacing periodically for weight change, gear configuration change, etc).

Thank you- I should clarify that I do use the Valsalva technique pretty often when I fly and just to clear my ears in general. I can also clear my ears by stretching my jaw out as well. Swallowing and plugging my nose has never worked for me however.

When I fly, I very rarely have any issue clearing the pressure when descending, but I just don't know why it's so different under water.

As for the plugs- I know that it definitely does not help to have those in, but not sure about ones like the Doc's Pro Plugs with the valve.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
The reason it is so different underwater is that pressure increases far quicker underwater. At 30,000ft the cabin is pressurised to approx 11-12psi relative to external (0.75 BAR). When diving you achieve the same pressure differential of 11-12psi (0.25BAR) by 8ft deep. By approx 30ft(if you ever go that deep), you are at double atmospheric pressure.

Personally, what I would do is clear my ears before diving and frequently on the way down - by 10ft I might have cleared once or twice. The amount of clearing required is WAY higher near the surface. By the time I get to 30ft or deeper I am clearing a lot less than I do at or near the surface.

I think that it is all matter of learning the proper technique.
In the pool I suppose you have to dive keeping your breath, not breathing from a scuba system.
This is important, because freediving your mouth is close, while with a scuba your mouth is open.
I suggest you the two best methods employed by deep free divers, who take just one or two seconds to reach a depth of 10m. In such time they need to equalize at least 5 times, which would impossible using Valsalva.
The two methods are known as Frenzel and BTV.
The first needs to close your nostrils (as with Valsalva), the second not.
The most powerful one is Frenzel, particularly the Frenzel-Fattah variant, aka "mouthfill".
BTV is more gentle, and becomes very effective only after months of continuous training, to be practised all along the day opening your tubes every 2-3 minutes.
As you probably do not have time for making your tube muscles strong with months of exercise, I warmly suggest that you start with Frenzel.
The basic Frenzel, which is the easiest to learn, should be perfect for you: the Frenzel-Fattah provides significant benefits only beyond 10m depth...

I have had a nagging ear problem since last October and as I have to dive for work, I have explored lots of remedies... I generally use the Frenzel to clear. One of my friends suggested EarShield and surprisingly it has helped - Ear Shield You might try it. My problem is remembering to use it. I am planning to see an ENT as soon as the docs in my area start seeing patients in person - so who knows when...

YMMV

Thank you all for the tips! I've been trying to learn the Frenzel as suggested, but it does not seem to be coming to me naturally! Lol

Has anyone had any luck with Doc's Vented Pro Plugs by chance?

Also- is it normal for water to flow in your ears if you equalize? And if so, can you still equalize with water in your ears?

Thanks!

Found out what happened the last time I practiced in the pool - Perforated Ear Drum!

After going to the ENT this morning, I have a ballpoint pen-sized hole in my right ear. The doctor is making me a custom ear plug just for that ear and said that just for me to be able to pass the test of going down to the bottom of a pool a few times that I should be fine to do so. Now just hoping that my ear doesn't close back up before the test in a few months!

Has anyone used a custom plug on a perforated ear drum before for light/shallow dives?

The ear plug should have a small hole or a tube inside it so you can still equalize with it.
About the pro plugs: They only help little with equalizing and are mostly meant for keeping water rushing into the ear to a minimum.
Water in ears is no problem for equalization.

Edit: Wild guess: Do you maybe start equalizing to late? At 7 feet can be already to late for some people, also some people tend to try to harder if it doesn't work.. Which makes it worse and can result in damage.
When diving straight down,
immediately start to equalize, if it doesn't work directly: stop or abort your descent. It only gets harder with more depth, you need the early equalize to be able to equalize at depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom