How do you secure your wing nuts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you use lock nuts you need sockets/wrenches as they are designed to be semi-permanent.
If you're taking the STA off after every dive *definitely not necessary in fresh water, leave it fully assembled*, but you'll want the thumbwheels which are way more convenient than the wing nuts. With wing nuts you have 3 pieces that you have to deal with, washer/lock washer/wing nut. With the thumbwheel you just have the thumbwheel

I don't know, with a wingnut driver for hurricane shutters and an impact driver, I think wingnuts could be faster than the thumbwheels.

negated by dealing with the two washers underneath it though...

Thanks guys. @tbone1004 my current "post-dive" set-up requires that I disassemble the BC, otherwise it's too heavy to hang on the bar. I am in the process of building a dive locker at home, but until that's done, disassembling it is. :-D

I've used nylon washers between the wing nut and BP. They act as lock washers, dont rust, easy to tighten and remove with just finger strength.

I really like these: OMS 5/16-18 Delrin Thumbwheels, Set of Two | Dive Gear Express®

Curious if anyone has had a problem with them though.

aside from being much cheaper than the OMS ones, the advantage of the delrin ones is that thread galling isn't liable to happen since there is no metal-metal contact. Downside is you don't have great finger grip on them if you're doing it in gloves when you need to snug/unsnug them, but that's not really an issue for most people

Delrin Thumbwheels as well for this diver like @tbone1004.

aside from being much cheaper than the OMS ones, the advantage of the delrin ones is that thread galling isn't liable to happen since there is no metal-metal contact. Downside is you don't have great finger grip on them if you're doing it in gloves when you need to snug/unsnug them, but that's not really an issue for most people

Is it Highland that has the delrin ones with "notches" cut in them for grip? I like the idea of those....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom